How to sanitize my incubator?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jackson41, Apr 11, 2011.

1. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Is it enough to just wash the tray and base in hot soapy water? Or do I need a bleach solution?

2. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    I wash with soap and water, rinse well air dry, spray with tek trol aresol spray. I have also washed with soap and water, rinsed, rinsed with bleach water, and air dried. My little brinsea came with some disinfectant (you can buy it, made by brinsea) that you wipe the bator down with (I always wipe it down first to get any debris of with soapy water prior to and rinse/dry first). They say you can leave the brinsea stuff on. I don't know about the tek trol spray. I have left it on and aired out the unit for a day or two and then turned it on.

I would like to hear from the others though.

Tonya

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I soak the bottom tray and wipe the other parts in a bleach solution, rinse and then dry in the sun. The sun does a nice job of killing germs too!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I use dish soap, a sponge, and the hose [​IMG]

5. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the replies. I have a brinsea octo 20. Only shell bits remained after my hatch. I used Rubbermaid shelf liner which I could just pick up and shake off. I washed the tray and wiped out the bottom .

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I have a brinsea octo 20

THEY ARE MADE FOR DISASSEMBLY AND BEING RUN THROUGH THE DISHWASHER IF YOU HAVE 1? JUST KEEP THE TOP UNIT (HAS ALL THE ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS IN IT...) OUT AND WIPE IT DOWN WITH TEK TROL OR BLEACH SOLUTION AND YOU'RE GOOD TO GO [​IMG]

7. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    if anyone knows where to get quaternary ammonia, the sanitiser used in commercial institutions, please PM me with the supplier.

as for cleaning:
    rinse off solid materials with hot water.
    wash with soapy solution.
    rinse
    sanitize with sanitizer. chlorox is good but it oxidizes soft metals (pretty much all but stainless steel). you can use like 50ppm or something and let it air dry. yeah, sunlight and wind really helps. Quat rocks as it doesn't vaporize, but stays down and sanitizes. there are enzyme cleaners/sanitizers that actually eat biofilms where microbes are said to grow. doubt you need to worry about biofilms but i don't know.

restaurants use a three system sink. Wash with hot soapy water; rinse with hot water and then rinse with sanitizing solution. let air dry.

i've heard dishes at dorms were said to have much higher bacterial numbers when they didn't go through a heat dry cycle. but only heard about this odd study. but it makes sense to sanitize and take away any harbouring environments to keep the bacteria from protecting themselves for dormancy. kill them while they're growing.

again, if anyone knows where to get over-the-counter Quat, please PM me.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the grocery stores and butcher shops use them here the paraquat LOL stuff you might have to make friends with a butcher or meat manager at a grocery store a lot of chemicals that are semi dangerous the feds do not want average joe citizen to have anymore ever since 911 if you can find a supplier you may get it shipped to Roscos game bird farm but you will probally draw more attention to yourself then you want [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by