How to save a starving gosling?

robinaggie

Flew the Coop
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Texas
The feed store has several three day old geese with their feet stuck through the wire floor (I made them put excelsior pads down before I left). Three will be ok, one had been stuck for quite a while, and I brought it home. It was wet, stomped on, shivering, and trapped away from food and water. It can't stand up, and it won't eat, although it talks and puts its face in water. I have been squirting soy milk down its throat, which seems to help a little. I tried making mush out of feed and soy milk, but it won't eat that either. What else can I do?

Oh my gosh - thank you! I floated tiny bits of grass on the water, and it's eating the grass and drinking!

you may need to use a syringe to force feed it. These are impressionable little tykes, you should call someone about their handling or atleast the company they recieve chicks from. Wow.

For Canary baby food FYI:

baby oatmeal or cook quick oats 1/2 cup cooked
2 hard boiled eggs 15 min, shells and all
wheat germ (if you have it)
1/2 c bread crumbs (toast a slice of bread, til dry, not burned)

Place in blender and blend it as fine as you can, will be difficult, kinda dry and crumbly. As you need to feed the duckling, use a syringe (you can get the needless syringe at your drug store) add enough soy milk to liquify it.
Use about 2 cc's at a time for the duck, get its crop working again.
when he finds his food interesting again, finish this mixture. If he is "sozzling" put his food into some water, don't allow his water to sour.
Poor baby, I feel so bad and its great to hear you stood up for the treatment of animals especially birds.
Many blessings to you and the little one, my prayers are with you.

Good job!

As waterfowl chill, they will lose their appetite. Let him eat a bit ata time until his system gets used to food again. Don't force anything on him and don't let him gorge.

Oh and when he is fellign better, we need pics.
smile.png

Thanks to everyone! The little thing is very wobbly, but trying to stand. It took a mouthful of food, but dropped most of it - at least it's trying now. I will make sure it gets some soymilk again before bedtime.

What king of baby goose is black and yellow with a black beak?

Quote:
Sorry about the false information and I am so pleased it is coming around for you. You will not be sorry for owning a goose, they make wonderful pets and solicitors are afraid of them, as well as they should be. Make sure you socialize him so it doesn't get to territorial and chew the dickens out of every kid, pal and family member. You are now the precious Mommy and Daddy , that little one will protect you til the end. I love geese and cannot have them for that reason, they are not simple to keep in the NE winter- well, Northern winters, they are cold hardy and can tolerate cold better then your chickens can, I'm a bit OCD with my critters, not completely, but yeah. lol. Good job.

I didn't consider yours to be "false" information. I think in general it's bad to overfeed anything that is near starving. I did force feed it, but just tiny amounts at a time. I appreciate everyone's help with this. The grass perked it up so I could get some food into it, and the recipe seems nutritious. After I feed it I rub its neck and back, and it seems to be feeling better.

I will love this little thing, and it doesn't get too cold here in the middle-east of Texas, so maybe I can keep it. I have no idea how big it's going to get. I don't even know what it is, other than a goose.

But not to worry - my neighbor's aunt lives on a big farm and said she would love to have "Freebie" if I can't keep it. I guess since I essentially stole it, I can name it that.

Back
Top Bottom