1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to say no...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lothiriel, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Our church is wanting to do a live Nativity this year for Christmas. They have been planning it for a long time but only just today decided to ask about "borrowing" animals. In our church we are the only ones with farm animals. They asked about the cows and that was a definite no.

I don't want to send any of my chickens down there, in the dark, in the cold, to sit in a cage all night, and get cross contaminated by the other critters they are hoping to have. But they won't understand because... [​IMG] they're "just chickens." Oh, and they say that they are going to have a heat lamp.

How am I going to say no? I said this morning that I don't want to, but she's that type of lady who has a way of manipulating kind of.... So she says, "Well, you think about it. All I'd ask for is one pet chicken."

One? They're social birds.

But I suppose my biggest objection is the risk of the other animals carrying diseases and then my chicken(s) would get them and bring them home.

[​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Your chickens, your decision. If you don't want to do it then don't. She'll get over it. For the record, I wouldn't do it either.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Politely tell the lady that you maintain a "closed" herd and that your animals don't leave and come back because of risk of disease and contamination. That is your policy and you are sticking to it.

4. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    You just say no. I love stonewalling people who want something. (I've actually made a career of it)

Just stand your ground. Tell her to buy a chicken off Craigslist, and when she's done using it as a prop for the festivities, youll adopt it. (If you want)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:X2

6. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    An animal is not a "prop". You're sure she didn't mean to suggest you subject your animals to this kind of abuse and you'll keep your eye out for a realistic looking toy....

7. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    That's a good way to put it. I'll email her and let her know. Thanks guys! [​IMG]

Cameron, I like that idea... I might suggest it to her... She said she knows some person outside the church with ducks, but I'm the one with the chickens. I'd have to quarrantine the bird though... Not sure how that would go about... [​IMG] But I do like the idea...

8. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I would say 'no', too. I would also explain my reasons just for clarification, but you certainly do not owe her an explanation.

9. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:She wants it all to be real. Real animals, real people, etc. I don't think she'd settle for a toy chicken. Supposedly it's supposed to inspire awe and wonder... But I'm not sure how that's going to happen in the freezing cold.

10. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell her it is too much stress on the animal and you can't condone animal abuse just for her visual display. God loves you regardless of if there is a chicken in the nativity scene or not. I would second the idea of suggesting to her to find a rooster on craigslist- she could save an animal from slaughter or donate it afterwards to a needy family. There should be no need for you to have to put your poultry under stress so that the church can make a pretty picture of what all the parishioners already know. And if she can easily fufill her wish without endangering your livestock, all the better. Go Craigslist!

I hate when people get pushy on stuff. Tell her it's very selfish of her to try to push you into it. Because it is.

Oh, and just say NO. [​IMG] even tho it is hard sometimes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by