how to say welsummer

Ahh das ist eine Deutsche name (it's a German name).  My cousin raises them in the Munsterland, w (pronounced as a v) so phonetically it would vell-tsummer.  (the s would be pronounced ts)

You saw Volkswagen they say folksvaagon, my last name Weiss is  pronounced Vice.
I am sorry, but that welsumer are being bred in germany does not mean that the town of welsum where they were cretaed lays in germany. They are dutch decent! The bantam variety was further made in germany. Now the name is correctly pronounced her as a well summer. In holland they elimintaed one m and just spel them welsumer, but the pronouncing is the same as you would in english. No wienersnitzel.. But welsummer!

Ahh das ist eine Deutsche name (it's a German name). My cousin raises them in the Munsterland, w (pronounced as a v) so phonetically it would vell-tsummer. (the s would be pronounced ts)

You saw Volkswagen they say folksvaagon, my last name Weiss is pronounced Vice.

Ahh das ist eine Deutsche name (it's a German name). My cousin raises them in the Munsterland, w (pronounced as a v) so phonetically it would vell-tsummer. (the s would be pronounced ts)

You saw Volkswagen they say folksvaagon, my last name Weiss is pronounced Vice.
Oh well...In fact, the name of the breed comes from its city of origin: Welsum. In German and Dutch (and some other European languages), the breed is referred to as 'Welsumer' -- mostly pronounced 'VELL-summah' (depending on language and dialects). The English name is Welsummer, with -mm-. We pronounce it pretty well in keeping with most practices in adopting words referring to foreign origins. For the sake of comparison, we say 'burLIN' and 'PAIR-is' and do not follow the pronunciation of the country where these cities are located. Such adjustments are common practice in most languages. If we had chosen to spell the breed with only -m- there would be much more confusion about the pronunciation ('WELZ-yuhmer' or 'WEL-suhmer'), both of which would be unfortunate. In some German dialects, the pronunciation of the breed is 'VElzumah' so it all depends on the where and the who. Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom