How to see the difference in pipping and just bumps on the egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sydkno33, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Sydkno33

Sydkno33 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I cant tell whether this is just a normal bump on the egg or are they starting to pip?:confused:

2. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Its a bump piping is a small crack in the shell

1 person likes this.
  3. Sydkno33

Sydkno33 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Thanks. Ive been messing with chickens forever I've just haven't hatched them before. What does it mean when the egg kinda moves around?

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    It means the chick is trying to position itself for the hatch...
    I see in the back ground of your photo there is a nest, I am going to assume a broody is sitting these eggs??

I will be honest here and let me apologize if I come across as rude, its not my intention, because all of us at one time have been new to this... Please, don't mess with the eggs, the more you handle them and move your broody the less chance you will have of a successful hatch... The broody turns and moves the eggs around under her, keeping them warm and cooling them off, turning them Etc.. During the final days it is so important for us all knowing and impatient humans to sit on our hands and let the hens do what they are supposed to do, When you pick them up and turn them, looking at them trying to see a pip the chick may become malpositioned and either not be able to get back into the position it needs to be in or pips at the wrong end, not always but more often then not this results in the death of the chick. If your moving the hen to look at the eggs you are messing up her system, if your putting her back on the eggs you could very well cause her to crush them. I speak from experience, I almost killed a chick and my Sister in Law actually did when she set the hen back over the chick, the hen ended up crushing it. The first two weeks of incubation if I have a chance I may do a quick candle but my rule is hands off completely that last week.

If you are incubation them the same rule applies after day 18.. they go into lockdown and you don't want to be messing with them , the whole trying to get into position thing..

Again, I apologize if I come across as rude, I really want everyone to experience the joy of owning and raising chickens and watching a broody be able to raise chicks.. Its such a fun experience! I have a broody sitting on 6 eggs, I am dying because I cant even candle to see what's going on, lol, she is a little maniac and she is brooding in a nice big dog house and I don't dare try and get to the eggs as she will tear my face off [​IMG]... So to satisfy my need to be a part of her hatch I have some eggs in the incubator set to hatch the same day as hers do... I will give her these chicks after they hatch [​IMG]

As soon as your able we are picture fanatics around here! We love the babies! [​IMG]

5. Sydkno33

Sydkno33 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    I dont see this as rude, you are fine! I'm learning. And this was very helpful. I wouldn't dare mess with the broody chicken she was out drinking at the time. I'm very pleased you commented I need as much help as I can get. What kind of chickens do you have because I am going to possibly do this in the future and my RIR are not getting really broody. They sit on them, but not when its needed.

6. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I started out with Black Australorps and Sexlinks, no roosters, one of the BA's went broody and we decided to allow her to increase our flock, I put an ad on CL for a rooster and the lady I got him from was nice enough to donate 5 fertile eggs (my sig picture) It is that broody I base my opinion of not messing with anything on...
    We decided we wanted a dual purpose flock, ones that would be good egg layers, broodies and big enough to put in the freezer, we changed out the rooster, sold all the pullets we hatched out ( they has that silkie mix and we didn't like the black/grey meat) I got a great deal at our local feed store, they sold me Buff Orpingtons, Sexlinks, Maran's, White Leghorn, Barred Rock and Jersey giant pullets for .75 each. I bought around 30 chicks and they have just started laying, a friend of mine who also raises chickens had a Blue Orpington Rooster that she didn't want so we took him.. He is now head cock with a Barred Rock as second in command. I also have a Molted Java (she has raised two broods this year!) I also purchased two Standard Cochin pullets because I had heard they were excellent broodies and mothers, they are only alittle over 3 months old so we shall see how good they are.. We are also raising heritage Turkeys and I want some good broody chickens to help hatch and raise them.
    I hope I have some good broodies in this mix, I will know come next spring if it pans out, I tried to stick with hens that were known for it but just because a hen is a breed that is known for it doesn't mean she will.. I have 3 BA's and only one of them ever went broody.

7. Sydkno33

Sydkno33 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Wow that helped! I heard the Orpingtons' go broody quite a bit. Thank you so much [​IMG][​IMG]

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Hands down I have heard Silkies are excellent broodies, If you aren't going to eat what you raise or if the darker colored meat doesn't bother you, it might be something you check into..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by