1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to seperate chicks from extremely protective mama?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OkapisRule, May 4, 2008.

1. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    My chicks were mama hatched, and the mama (Parsley) has always been protective, but since we took the eggs that weren't hatching away, she doesn't have eggs to go back to in the cardboard nesting box we made in the cage. Therefore, she is much more aggressive. When we open the cage, she runs at us if we're within a yard of her. There's parctically no way to get to any of her chicks and we have no clue how we will seperate her when we need to. (we will need to soon, before the chicks become untamable.)

Please help!!!

2. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    my freind had the same problem so 1 day i put on some gloves got a cat carrier and grabed the hen and put her in then took the chicks and put her back. it was that simple
    [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Try getting her while she's asleep. That seems to work for me.

4. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    just make sure when you try those 2 ideas you have gloves long sleeves and pants ohh and dont forget shoes lol

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:And goggles! [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Why do you "need" to separate a good Mama hen from her chicks? Why mess with success? You're going to upset the hen, get her permanently angry with you, and she will communicate all the more strongly to her chicks that You are The Enemy.

Why not win her & her chicks over with kindness? Bring little treats every time you go to see her. Chopped hard-boiled egg, little bits of bread, and as they grow, fine cracked corn, apple slices, melon rinds, & more.

Put them a few yards away from you, where Mama will find them & buk-buk-buk call her kids over for the treat. Just sit there and talk nicely to them. Soon they will all begin to associate your approach with good things.

You can train them to come to you by calling "here pik-pik-pik!" and shaking a bit of scratch or feed in a can right before you give them their treat. Like Pavlov's chickens, they'll quickly learn to connect that sound with treats. Occasionally make that call & sound withOUT giving a treat, then you'll have them as hooked as gamblers, not knowing for sure when the payoff will come. This will also help if you need to call your chickens but don't have a treat handy.

Chicks raised by a Mama hen are usually more "wild" -- actually cautious-- than brooder chicks, but I think they also are smarter & have better instincts. They can also be courted with kindness either as little chicks or later when Mama is done raising them. Be patient & don't bother them unnecessarily.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i agree with sunny side up ansd besides you act like being attacked by a chicken is sooo bad theyre not that scary. she just loves her chick and is doing her job. u really shouldnt mess with nature

8. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    Parsley (the hen) isn't tame, and it'll be hard to tame her, especially when she doesn't want anything to do with you. I also would really like the chicks tame.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Chickens have a variety of temperments, due to the nature of their breed and their individual character. Parsley may never be your friendliest bird, and any demanding treatment will only make her more wary. Actually, this is a good quality in a broody hen, be grateful for this!

Doing much of anything to separate her from her chicks or handle them without her approval will NOT be beneficial to any of you. Please be patient and gradually win their confidence by providing treats (not too much to ruin their health) and continual gentle and respectful treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by