How to set eggs from the mail?

Chickengirl1304

Songster
7 Years
May 5, 2012
California
I'm going to order some FBCM eggs and was wondering how to deal with them when they arrive?

How do I store them until ready to set them? Any special thing to do before setting them? Etc...

As soon as the eggs arrive immediately inspect the eggs for shipping damage then allow them to sit in the box for the remainder of the day untouched. That evening you can set your eggs.

If you plan on setting the eggs at a later date, put the eggs into your auto turner and turn it on (no heat).
OR
Put the eggs into an egg carton and tilt one end up slightly. Store them in a cool dry location rotating the ends a few times a day until you are ready to place in the incubator.

. . . Forgot to add, eggs should be stored pointy-end DOWN.

smile.png

What they said except I would say if they seem to have had a rough journy you can start incubating them but not turn them for a couple days so the air cells if there damage have more of a chance to settle correctly. Just a thought though

Some good advice your getting!

Candle your eggs first. How do your shipped eggs aircells look apon recieving? Settle eggs for 12-24 hours before setting them... see below "Conculsion" for more info........Depending on the condition you may want to wait to turn even after you put them in the incubator and keep them air cell up (big end up, little end down) in an egg carton with the bottoms cut out. Its best to not turn shipped eggs with bad cells until 36-48 hours after setting......

I am cleaning up my notes but they are all thrown here..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
excuse the chaos I am only half way through : ) and this is a paste in regards to shipped eggs from that article...

Shipped Eggs = Change Of Plans!
Shipped eggs have a MUCH lower hatch rate, even with experienced hatchers! It’s always best to get local eggs to get the best hatch rate. Sources for eggs are to search the BYC buy sell trade section, Craigslist and eBay. Your local thread on BYC may be the best bet for local eggs! Look for your local site in the “Social section” “Where am I? Where are You!” section of BYC.

BELOW ROLLING AIR CELL OF A SHIPPED EGG

SITES oN AIR CELL DAMAGE...

UNDERSTANDING what goes WRONG with SHIPPED EGGS
The yolk of an egg is held in place on each end by what is called Chalaza. These are delicate cords that keep the yolk centered in the egg. When you crack open an egg, you notice a white stringy thing on the yolk, this is the Chalaza. When eggs are shipped they encounter many things that are not favorable to their well being. Postal handlers that toss the packages, machinery that sorts the mail, bumpy vehicle rides and the such. So by the time the eggs get to you they are pretty much scrambled inside. So if you are going to by eggs and have them shipped to you, be aware that the viability drops to near zero. Yes there are those rare instances when they arrive safely but it is always a gamble.

http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/egg_parts.htm

BELOW SADDLE SHAPED AIR CELL

CONCLUSION ~ Shipped eggs
For rolling, detached or disrupted air cells (cells no longer at fat end of the egg but like a bubble level on the long side, rolling or saddle shaped cells), you’ll need to change your hatch plan. They need to sit 24 hours, pointy end down in a Styrofoam Egg Carton with the bottoms cut out for ventilation to possibly reattach air cells. Allow eggs to sit in a moderately cool, somewhat humid place for 12-24 hours before you begin to incubate them. Basements are great. Moderately cool means 65-75 degrees with the fat end UP. After settle period SET Shipped eggs in the incubator in the carton, do not turn for 36-48 hours to help air cell re-attach. To leave them in the egg carton for all 21 days of the hatch will give you a better hatch rate. After 36-48 hours begin turning or hand turn by laying the eggs side to side 3 times a day, as in the image below.

Turning Shipped Eggs

NOTE: If you do receive a cracked egg and it’s an expensive egg you can try to hatch it, but beware of bacterial explosion/possibility of ruining other eggs. It is possible to hatch a cracked egg by sealing the crack with candle wax/crayon wax or finger nail polish.

Good Luck with your hatch!!

Back
Top Bottom