1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to sex 1 week old chicks??????????????????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenwhat, Jun 22, 2011.

1. chickenwhat

chickenwhat Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Douglasville,Ga
    I tryed the neck thing and it says i have all girls, that's great if they really are.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is an old wives (or farmers') tale and like many, has about as much success as flipping a quarter.

What breed are they? Some, like Barred Rocks, can be sexed at hatch by certain traits.

3. chickenwhat

May 3, 2011
    Douglasville,Ga
    I Have Not A Clue They Came From My Uncle 2 Are Black And 2 Are Yellow Turning White And Black. I Have Buff's And Black Austrlopes, That Are Redy To Start Laying. I'm New At This But Love All My Chickens

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i've had pretty good luck with looking at the way they feather out. of course it's not 100%, but it worked for me when i hatched a bunch of chicks and could only keep 2 pullets out of each breed......i find the females feather out quicker and they also get their tail feathers more quickly as well. the males look like their legs are taller/bigger too. i found that when they got their wing feathers, the females were more pointy and nicely shaped and the males were more blunt. of course it's certainly not 100% and i never got to see if i was right about the chicks i gave away, but i was sure right when i chose girls at 2 weeks old and then i gave the rest of their siblings away. i was takin a chance, true, but i ended up being right. maybe it was just luck....but i've heard others say the same thing about females feathering out faster....

5. jaybob54

jaybob54 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    What is the feather trick and How do you try it??..... Will it work on my 5 straight run aracauna
    chicks????.....????... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    are you talking about what i was saying? or are you talking about "feather sexing"? cuz the actual "feather sexing" technique is done when they're just a couple days old and it only works for certain breeds.

7. jaybob54

jaybob54 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    I mean theneck thing in the beginning where you said they are all girls [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:weee [​IMG]

8. chickenwhat

May 3, 2011
    Douglasville,Ga
    Quote:they said it's like flipping a quater. so i guess not

9. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Completely new to all this stuff so can someone tell me how young chicks have to be to vent sex? I haven't found any good footage of the process but I'm interested in picking up the skill.

10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    With my twelve, the smallest one who didn't feather in as quickly as the rest (at about 1-2 weeks it was clear), turned out to be a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by