How to sex 3 week old chicks?

What breeds do you have? At 3 weeks some of the boys' combs may begin to grow larger & look more pinky-red. In the next weeks their little wattles may begin to emerge under their chins, like teenage boys growing their first beard hairs. Some breeds show these secondary sex characteristics earlier than others.

Vent sexing is a learned skill, taking lots & lots of training & practice, that's why the hatcheries pay their sexers so much.

Silkies can't be sexed and most people have to wait for a crow or an egg. Cochins you can guess the sex by the comb. Usually the males will have a larger and reddening of the comb anywhere from 3-6 weeks. It's a guessing game with unsexed chicks. You'll have to rehome if you get a roo. Craigslist is a good place to advertise.

Here's what you do to find out the sex of Silkies:

A.) Set up your brooder, make sure the temperature is just right (95 at first)

B.) Set up starter feed and shallow water bowl

C.) Put your chicks in the prepared brooder

D.) Put a calendar up next to the brooder

F.) Mark off a day exactly 4 months in the future, at which point you post pictures of your chicks on BYC for gender ID

Viola!

Last edited:
My chicks are 4 weeks old...should I be seeing some differences in the ladies and gents? I have Buff's, SLW, Barred Rocks, and EE's. I keep looking at their legs and wondering. Some have yellow legs and feet, and some have darker ones (not the green of the EE's) I'm getting leary that I have a coop full of roos!!!

Quote:
i know what you mean i hatched out 4 BR last month and another 4 this month but i have read alot on the BR saw that the hens have shaded legs and the roos dont and the hen will get her barring look before the roo also the roo his feathers will be uneven we bought 22 BRs couple months ago and the owner said they were about a month old they looked like 2mos really and i could see the pattern diffrence in them the more white barring is roos and blacker barring is hen

I have 3 RIRs 3 weeks old, one I think is a rooster, but I think theres a hen that's bigger than him, is it common for a hen to be bigger than a roo at this age?

Back
Top Bottom