1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to sex 3 week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poochiepoochie, Aug 2, 2013.

1. poochiepoochie

poochiepoochie New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    I have three week old chicks two rir's and one polish. One of my ri's is starting to bully my polish it seems. Wondering if it's a gender thing or reasons for it. Any thoughts?

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    RIR's - can't say about sexing them at 3 weeks, but Polish are easy. When a Polish chick hatches, it has an extra-fuzzy patch on the top of its head where its crest forms. A pullet chick has a round patch, that runs squarely up to the top of her beak. A cockerel chick has a more-or-less oval patch, that runs down his neck just a little bit.

It may or may not be a gender thing, but if these were my chicks, I'd separate the combatants. Polish have what is called a vaulted skull. The skull actually has gaps in it, so the brain is very vulnerable. One well-aimed peck can cause brain damage, sometimes even resulting in death.[​IMG]

ETA - on reflection, I'm not sure that I've ever had a 3-week-old RIR roo - I think all of the RIR chicks I've actually had were pullets[​IMG] Cochins, now, I've had scads of those little beggers, and some of them will drive you nuts!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Island Chick

Island Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Puget Sound
    Pictures help. My RIR were easy to tell apart at 2 weeks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by