how to sex 6 week old chicks ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens&ducks_RULE, Aug 16, 2010.

1. chickens&ducks_RULE

chickens&ducks_RULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    hey, i got 2 Silkie X Old English Game Bantams there 6 weeks old and i was wondering how could i sex them ??

thanks

~Daniel

2. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    The only way I can tell is if they develop a nice comb and crow..... or take them out in public all day and see which restroom they use when nature calls.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG] still giggling over this one....

Post photos on the breed and gender thread....loads of great advice there.

5. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    So, does anyone have the UC Davis guidelines for EE development? I have chicks that are 6+ weeks old and want to know who is who. I'm posting pics elsewhere but wanted to know if there are these kinds of guideline sfor EE chicks?

Thanks!
    Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by