1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to sex 7 month peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by strawn28, Feb 20, 2016.

1. strawn28

strawn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    We hatched our first peachick last August! We were convinced it was a girl. We think she is the hatchling from our white peahen and India blue pied male.
    However she is now taking blue green neck, white face, white brown spots on chest
    Could she be a male?

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Post a picture showing the entire bird and we can sex it for you and teach you.

3. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

4. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Male.

5. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    Dang! How do I tell?
    Is he ok in our pen with male?

6. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Indian Blue male.

The barring on the shoulders at this much indicates a male. So long as there's no hen around you shouldn't get any problems. Also if the other male is the same age you have nothing to worry about.

7. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Yep thats a rooster as for penning with another male, size matters, meaning the size of the pen and the size of the birds, if they are both juvenile and the pen is large enough then your ok for now but, I would advise to monitor closely as they get older because one will be dominate during the season and one day you may go out and be surprised at the aggression but this does depend on the peas personality as some never have issues with IB's and greens are a whole different world. I also suggest to not pen younger and older males together due to aggression.

Gerald Barker

8. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois

They are in a 10'x20' pen. 4 females 1 4yr old pied blue male and now this baby he is only 7 months tho. I thought he will be ok until he's mature?
    Thanks

9. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    To be honest, that is pushing the limits for "pea space" but if you keep a close eye on them he should be ok, I would start building a pen to separate them in the near future. It really depends on the personalities, only you will know your peas.[​IMG]

Gerald Barker

10. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    That is pushing it a little bit. A trio could probably be fine. The male might pick on the younger male. Maybe not to the point of killing him since he's not a rival yet but it could happen. It would be best to try and build another pen to put the male and one of the females in the other pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by