How to sex 7 month peacock

strawn28

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
Illinois
We hatched our first peachick last August! We were convinced it was a girl. We think she is the hatchling from our white peahen and India blue pied male.
However she is now taking blue green neck, white face, white brown spots on chest
Could she be a male?

Dang! How do I tell?
Is he ok in our pen with male?

Yep thats a rooster as for penning with another male, size matters, meaning the size of the pen and the size of the birds, if they are both juvenile and the pen is large enough then your ok for now but, I would advise to monitor closely as they get older because one will be dominate during the season and one day you may go out and be surprised at the aggression but this does depend on the peas personality as some never have issues with IB's and greens are a whole different world. I also suggest to not pen younger and older males together due to aggression.

Gerald Barker

Yep thats a rooster as for penning with another male, size matters, meaning the size of the pen and the size of the birds, if they are both juvenile and the pen is large enough then your ok for now but, I would advise to monitor closely as they get older because one will be dominate during the season and one day you may go out and be surprised at the aggression but this does depend on the peas personality as some never have issues with IB's and greens are a whole different world. I also suggest to not pen younger and older males together due to aggression.

Gerald Barker

They are in a 10'x20' pen. 4 females 1 4yr old pied blue male and now this baby he is only 7 months tho. I thought he will be ok until he's mature?
Thanks

They are in a 10'x20' pen. 4 females 1 4yr old pied blue male and now this baby he is only 7 months tho. I thought he will be ok until he's mature?
Thanks

To be honest, that is pushing the limits for "pea space" but if you keep a close eye on them he should be ok, I would start building a pen to separate them in the near future. It really depends on the personalities, only you will know your peas.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Thanks

That is pushing it a little bit. A trio could probably be fine. The male might pick on the younger male. Maybe not to the point of killing him since he's not a rival yet but it could happen. It would be best to try and build another pen to put the male and one of the females in the other pen.

Back
Top Bottom