How To Sex A Baby Chick When Hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2txmedics, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Ok I started hatching last night and its a first for me!!! Im so excited...so I got to thinking how am I gonna tell what I have...well I did a internet search and found this, I sure hope it helps others:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
    It's not really easy. Some birds you can tell just by the wing feathers. But, you have to know exactly what breed you have, and what the traits are....

Easiest way (and it isn't foolproof) is to flip the bird over. Gently use a finger to pull the skin away from the vent, moving towards the belly. You have to be careful, or you can cause the bird injury.

A female will have a dull pink flat spot. A male will have a shiny bump. Don't bet that you'll get it right every time, but it can give you a pretty good start.
    3 years ago

IM GONNA TRY IT SOON...."DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MARK A BABY CHICK WITH SOMETHING THAT WONT HURT IT? IM WANTING TO MARK MY CHICKS AS THEY HATCH SO I KNOW WHAT I HAVE...NAIL POLISH?...MARKER??? ANY IDEAS???

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. sethsleader

sethsleader Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Ive ordered 2gold laced 2 lavender and 2 black orpington eggs and was wondering how to sex them when/if they hatch.

Thanks for your post.[​IMG]

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    NO PROBLEM...I just did a search online...I was wondering myself...lol...last time when we bought pullets I ended up with 7roos!!!! and Im having to keep them seperate as they fight...hence...7 hens...and now 24wks later "3" coops!!! lol, and now Im hatching as of last night!!!! have 32 eggs in bator

4. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    You could pick up a bag of 1/4 inch leg bands.. kind of like the first item in this list. Maybe just band the boys or just the girls?

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/leg_bands.html

Just make sure you ugrade to the bigger ones before their legs get constricted.

There is a youtube video out there showing the 'feather method' for sexing the chicks. Have to do it pretty much the day they are born I've heard. I wouldn't do vent sexing, just my opinion but not worth the risk unless you're a pro. Me personally, theres no reason to not just wait a month or 2 for some real traits to start appearing.

5. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Yikes! Sounds kind of scary to me. I'd be too afraid that I'd hurt the tiny little chick! But then again, I'm pretty inexperienced still.

6. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I'm new to all this too but I read in a book that you can mark them with a crayola marker. They said to NEVER use the color red because they will peck at it. In the picture shown they used a plain crayola blue marker. Hope this helps [​IMG]

7. SpunkyTheMonkey

SpunkyTheMonkey King of the Intardnets

May 8, 2009
    Naoussa, Greece
    0.02:

those instructions suck. first, you have to gently squeeze the abdomen to get them to poop (or you can't see inside the vent) then your going to need 2 fingers to open the vent...you kinda roll it back and forth....search for a better explanation or a video, i have a crying baby on my shoulder...

if you're too rough you can injure or even kill them and vent sexing n00bs like us will still get a lot of them wrong anyway. i wouldn't do it.

you might be able to feather sex or color sex them if you know exactly what you're hatching (what the mum & dad were)...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: