How to sex a chick using a pencil

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jloftin60, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    The Amish have used this for years. Take a lead pencil with a somewhat sharp end and an eraser on the other end. Take a sewing needle (with an eye in it), loop about seven or eight inches of thread and tie it in a not. Stick the needle in the end of the pencil as straight as possible. Pick a chick up in your hand and with the otherhand hold the end of the string so that the point of the pencil is touching the back of the chick. Raise it up enough where the pencil is clear of touching any feathers. Keeping
    a steady hand, the pencil will begin to move and swing. If it swings from head to tail,rooster. If it swings in a circle or from left to right, pullett. I know you are thinking this is about the silliest thing that you have ever heard, but it works.It even works on humans. Have a person to turn their wrist over (palm up) and put the pencil on the wrist right above the blood vessels, raise it up, keep a steady hand, and watch the pencil start to swing. If it swings from elbow - hand, boy, circle or side to side, girl.
    It does the same on my wife and me. It will swing front to back, stop, then swing side to side and then stop. My wife and I have a son and daughter. I've done this on several people. I did it on one person and she said it was wrong, but later remembered she had had a miscarage.
    This is nothing magic about me. It will work for anyone who has a steady hand. I see a guy selling a "Chick Sex Detector" on E-Bay for $10. All it is is a small magnet cut into a thin strip with a point on one end and a string attached to the other end with the same directions as above.
    Before you pick up that rotten egg to throw at me, give it a try.

John

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Sounds like this one belongs in the folklore thread.

But on the other hand some people can dowse but most can't.

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    some idiot did that at an auction. i took some pullets to and they sold them as roos. i got three dollars each. the pullets were selling for 12. i wrote up on a piece of paper what they were and filled out my name on their sheet. this other guy said he would fill it out. there was a couple sitting there when i set my box down and asked what i had. i told them pullets. well guess who bought my ROOS for $3. when i checked out i complained and they gave me my 10%commision back. big whip. they came up and thanked me after and said it was great they sold them as roos. i saw the guy checking a bunch with swinging this pencil over them.
    sorry to vent. but i lost about $50 on the deal. hope you have better luck with it.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I heard about this and have tried it, to no avail. I guess I'm just not gifted in that way.[​IMG]

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    lol this isn't bashing but lets face you have a 50% chance of being right or wrong.[​IMG]

6. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I think it sounds like fun. I am going to try it with my hatchlings, band them accordingly and see what happens when they mature. [​IMG] Thanks for the info! I will keep you posted!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have this really cool way of telling whether someone has no grasp on reality. First you take a young chicken, a pencil, a needle.......

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by