How to sex a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Dec 6, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Hello there

My chicks are 2 weeks and 1 day old. They're getting bigger and bigger;.....I'm scared. Now, I think it's time to sex them. I had some theories before, but they probably all failed. So, what's the technique? What should I look at?

Thanks in advance!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You have to wait till they are about 6-8 weeks old to sex them for sure. You will be looking for secondary sex characteristics like comb growth and larger size. Wait another month and enjoy them while they are small.

Vent sexing and feather sexing, you can look these up with search, is no longer applicable for birds of this age.

3. lyndatu

Nov 13, 2007
    Hello again

My cornishes are big. In just 1.5 weeks they already have combs and tail feathers. Now, they're about to turn 3 weeks old. Can I sex them now??? We have a chick that has a large comb for a chick.

THanks in advanCE!

4. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

the boys get combs and wattles first.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, you should know within 3-5 weeks on cornish. Combs will be double the size and start turning pink on males versus females.

Jody

6. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    I can't help it either. I always wonder which of mine are Roos. My Frizzled Cochin chicks are 13 days old and I think I have 3 definite roos picked out of 8 chicks.

The 3 that I have pegged as roos have bigger combs, roost more often (on the dowel I put in the brooder) and do more belly-bumping than the rest. I'm writing down my observations to see if I am a genius or "full of it".

I've always noticed my shy-est chicks turned out to be hens.

My Grandparents have Buff Cochin chicks that are 2 months old and they have no features to identify them either way. It's weird...I think they're all hens or all roos.

7. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sound like boys....

When you have a flock of chicks, you can see the characteristics coming through.

My first lot of chicks were both boys so had nothing to guage on. My second lot produced a pullet so nothing to guage on. This third flock has seen 10 chicks, two adopted to make 12. The two adopted roos, and looks like two, maybe three others others from my 10, have bigger pinker combs, and act up a bit.

8. lyndatu

Nov 13, 2007
    Oh, the combs are turning pink! All your observations are happening to mine! This means I have 3 roos out of 5..........oh no! Oh well............. :|

Thanks for your help! Now I'm going to wait for my new brown chicks to reveal themselves!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by