how to sex a chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 15, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    besides vent and feather and auto sexing, are there anyother ways to sex a chick without waiting 3 weeks for them to grow their comb and whatever its called?

2. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Well, I think it depends on the breed. How old are they?

Could you get us some pics?

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I wing sexed my new chicks and it was spot on and I am a total newbie with NO experience...it was pretty easy to see the 2 rows or 1 row of wing feathers...and they were spot on for my chicks...

4. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    Normally you can tell by the color of the chick. The darker one is probable the males and the light color ones probable the female . I use to stay at my papas for long time and he got tons of chickens

5. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    i know they are RIR X some other kind.

also doesnt wing sexing only work in the first few days of life? my chicks feather things are comin in [​IMG]

they are 1 week old. just hope their not both cockerels [​IMG]

6. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I wing sex chicks two rows hen one row rooster. 100 percent accurate. I just read of a way of sexing chicks which I tried on my silkies and will have to see. Hold the chick on its back in the palm of your hand. let it relax. If the legs go straight out its a rooster, if they fold in its a hen. Dont know if it works but did try it and kept all the ones that the legs folded in. Hope the jokes not on me & be stuck with all roosters now

7. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    please explain the wing thing? two rows or one row where? And at what age do you have to look at this? i have 9 that are one week old today, and 7 that are three weeks old today, so I can do this with them? I hatched two batches of eggs because I want three more hens to keep with my flock, and the rest are to be given to a friend of mine. I've been keeping them here to see if they are boys or girls, but if there's a way to tell now, that would move them out faster.

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:That isn't true. Only in some breeds you can do that to. Red sex-links for example the males will be lighter and the females will be darker in color when they hatch (or it may be the females lighter and the males darker. I can't remember correctly.) Same goes for black sex-links and barred rocks.

It all depends on the age of the chick.

The males-
    -Tend to have thicker legs.
    -Bigger/Redder Comb and wattles.
    -Crow.
    -May be more standoffish and challenge you.

The Females-
    -Thinner legs then males.
    -Smaller Comb/Wattles.

9. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    the guy at the feed store showed me that you can sex chicks at one week. my adorable little black one is a female, with two rows of feathers, one shorter than the other. My yellow one is male. yay feather sexing!

10. TexasAggieOfc

TexasAggieOfc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    The new one that I heard at Atwoods this week is this:

Hold the chick in your hand and gently roll your hand to where your palm is facing up with the chick in it. If the chick doesn't try to get up (it's on it's back, belly up) then it's a pullet. If it tries to fight it and get up, it's a roo. We'll see how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by