how to sex a japanese bantam *pics added*

chicken pickin

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 3, 2012
I just came back from a local chicken swap and of course couldnt keep from buying something. I came home with FOUR 6week old japanese bantams. I have no clue how to sex them. Is it like sexing any other type of chicken and watch comb and waddle developement? or are there other signs? I also am not sure of what their coloring is I think the father was a black tailed white and the mother was mottled. I can post pics in a little bit. But if anyone has any ideas about sex or color id love to hear it.

Last edited:
Hi. Congratulations with you new birds! I keep and breed Japanese bantams and have got good as sexing the young chicks after they are over a week or 2 old. You can not tell the sex by the colour or anything else, excepts the comb on the head.

Can you post pics of them on here? If you look at them all together you should see differences in the comb size and colour of the comb.

The males combs will be much redder, even at a young age, and they will be bigger. The hens combs are very small and hardly stick out at all, they are also much lighter colour.

I have found the roosters of this breed get along fine with each other, even when they are adults, as long as they all grow up together. (even when I add new birds the roosters only have a quick fight and chase to establish a pecking order, and then all is ok, although some will not roost together).

Thank you for replying. I will definitely post pics but itll have to be later tonight as my phones not working and it is what I use as a camera. Ill have to wait til hubby gets home later tonight. Please check back because I would love your advice :) any idea what the color combo of mom and dad would make the babies?

can't wait to see some pics! I love my Bantams. They must have the most tiny cute chicks of any chicken, as I am sure yours are.

If the father is a Black tail white, and the mother mottled, then most of the chicks should come out like Black Tail Whites, but they will have flecks and occasional bits of colour in the rest of their feathers - like the mother. But, sometimes a chick from a mixed colour mating can surprise us which the colour as I had a black rooster come from a mating with a white hen and a Black tail Buff rooster!

What colour are the chicks? Are they white, yellow, brown, black?

They are black with white faces (similar to what my silver laced wyandotte chicks looked like)and what looks to be a little whilte lacing or penciling around the necks and 2 with lacing on their breast. Some have what looks to be slight white specks in the upper wings and white wing feathers under the black wing feathers(the longest feather that touches the ground is white but you can just barely see the white tip). I think their bellies might be white too id have to look. I wasnt able to get pics last night. Im hoping if I can get my old camera charged up i can take a few pics this morn when the suns up.

Last edited:
SO I found an old camera and took some pics the quality is not good and they are in the garage for quarantine so its a little dark but here goes. I think I have more boys than girls possibly 3 boys 1 girls
sad.png
just a guess I hope im wrong. Oh also I forgot to add I think the woman I bought them from said 2 are 1 week older or younger so they are either 5/6weeks or 6/7weeks I cant remember.

Chick Num 1

chick num 2

chick num 3

chick num 4

Last edited:
SO I found an old camera and took some pics the quality is not good and they are in the garage for quarantine so its a little dark but here goes. I think I have more boys than girls possibly 3 boys 1 girls
sad.png
just a guess I hope im wrong. Oh also I forgot to add I think the woman I bought them from said 2 are 1 week older or younger so they are either 5/6weeks or 6/7weeks I cant remember.

Chick Num 1

chick num 2

chick num 3

chick num 4

hard to tell with pic quality but i say
1. cockeral? (huge comb but not red...)
2. cockeral? (red comb but small)
3. pullet (small light colored comb)
4. pullet (small light colored comb)

Thanks! When I brought them home I was hoping for one roo 3 hens but id be ok with 2 of each. I hear the roos get along fine if raised together. Anyone else think they may know the sex or the color of them? I can take better pics of them if that would help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom