How to sex a silkie chick.

ArekE

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
On friday our local feed store is ordering in some silkies and i was just wondering if there is a way to tell if its female because i all ready got the rooster part covered. The only reason i want silkies for is their tendency to go broody and i cant see my silkie roo's doing that. I have heard that you can sometimes tell by the feathers on a day old chick but i find that too confusing. Is there maybe an easier way or am i going to have to hope i pick right?
idunno.gif

Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. Basically you have to go by, if it eventually lays an egg, it's a hen. If it crows, it's a rooster. You can send off and have a DNA test done for about $20 to know for certain at a young age. This is why they are sold straight run because they are HARD to gender. Sometimes they will develop streamers early on (at 5-6 months old) which are longer, more course feathers in their neck and tail but sometimes that comes even later and combs aren't a good way to tell either) I know several people who raise and breed them. Some things to look for to be sure they are silkies indeed. Silkies have FIVE toes, not four like most chickens. Their feet are ALWAYS black/blue. Their skin is black, as are their bones but you can't see those lol). Their ear lobes are blue but that will come later, not at birth. If you see any that have tufts of hair sticking up, they have vaulted skulls, meaning an opening. It is NOT a flaw but you have to watch them closely as chicks so others do not peck them there as it can kill them. They usually have the prettiest puff on their head though. Don't let it scare you off, it's just a warning :) I had silkies for a bit but I didn't much care for picking poo out of the feet feathers so I sold them. I don't do feathered feet breeds anymore lol Hope this helps!

I guess i will have to go with my gut feeling. Hopefully i will pick right and if i do get a rooster i will just have to give him to a neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom