1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to sex a turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sargent279, Feb 3, 2016.

1. sargent279

sargent279 New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    I have a turkey that is 6 months old that until two weeks ago thought was a hen. Now all the signs of a tom. Do done take that long to mature? Added some pics both are same bird. Want to get a mate just not 100% at this time what to get. [​IMG][/B][/IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I am by far no expert but I will say that's a tom!

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    That is a pretty tom! I had one that didnt start strutting till about 6 months too. Is the a blue palm? And di it come from poreters?? Also you should come to the Century of turkey talk thread!!

4. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Nice looking blue palm tom.

I can usually tell sex fairly early by leg/body size. Carnucle development on the neck.

But I had a blue red bronze that I thought was a hen and at about 5 months old it gobbled. It was just a slow developer I guess. Up til then it had a small snood thin legs and was smaller than what he was hatched with.

Now he is as big or bigger than the others. E ery now and then one has to keep you in suspense.

Fun of turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by