How to sex a turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by tdmason, May 4, 2010.

1. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    I just recently purchase two white turkey (assuming the meat kind) just to have something different. I was wondering if the same method of turning them upside down like you can do a chicken would work or not. I know that isn't a sure method for a chicken but I have used it and had it work. These turkeys are three weeks old and I would just really like to know what they are now. Would anyone know from pictures? They look exactly the same to me. LOL!

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    just keep a close eye on them and they will let you know, this guy is 20 days old RP
    [​IMG]

3. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Oh thanks! Would it make more difference if one makes a lot more noise than the other? One is quiet and hardly makes a peep and the other never shuts up?

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Good luck sexing turkeys...we've had many discussions on it here......what I've learned is that if it lays an egg, it's a female. [​IMG] I have never been able to sex a turkey. When my turkey from last year started growing a beard I was positive it was a boy...........then it laid an egg [​IMG] And she's loud all of the time!!

Last edited: May 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by