How to SEX an egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiki244, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    "If you want your brood to be mostly female, select and incubate only the most nearly oval eggs.Those with a noticeably pointed endproduce cockerels." from Mother Earth News issue 25 (January 1974)".....so reliable that we raised 23 pullets from 23 carefullychosen eggs!"[​IMG]

2. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    My coworker is incubating some of my eggs and she said that is exactly what her Grandmother told her! [​IMG]
    We need to run experiments. Everybody who has an incubator order more eggs!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope. Does NOT work. Old wives tale. Or grandma's tale, if you will. Ive incubated the roundest eggs you can imagine and out pops cockerels. Ask anyone who has incubated any of my Caroline's eggs. She lays golfballs.

4. KrisRose

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Still need experiments!! Order eggs!
    My co workers daughter is incubating some of my eggs for her science fair!! [​IMG]
    I am so geeked over this- I feel there's an incubator in my future. [​IMG]

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Welcome to the club! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    KrisRose, are you trying to get the worse/best BYC enabler award? However I feel inclined to obey, must order more eggs. [​IMG]

7. KrisRose

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Best Enabler!! I'M NUMBER ONE!! [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have fun. Like Speckled said, it's an old wives tale. Tell's you as much as a hanging needle that swings.

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The problem with that theory is that most chickens lay the same shaped egg day after day. I can tell who laid what in my pens by the shape of the egg. I of course, have to catch one in the act first but once I know how an egg looks from one of my birds I know who laid it. I did get an egg yesterday from my Faverolle pen and it was more pointed than usual. I have only one laying now so either the other girl started to lay after her molt or the first girl has something going on. Her eggs a very oval and have been since last August when she started to lay. I currently have two little roo in the brooder and two little pullets from her eggs.

I sure do wish it was that simple.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Biology 101: X & Y chromosomes-sound familiar. XX=female & XY=male. Same in birds only it's ZZ & ZW, or at least that's the most recent theory. Shape of the egg doesn't play a role. That the biologists are sure of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by