how to sex barred rock 8wks-newbie here!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jennybee, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jennybee

jennybee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    so i am sending dh to get some 8wk barred rocks from a guy on craigslist, unsexed. what can i tell him to look for so i get pullets? help! thanks!

2. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    by 8 weeks I would think that the combs on the roos will be pretty obvious. Stick with smaller yellower combs and waddles. Also, I think the girls tend to be a bit darker than the boys with less barring. There is also the black coloring down the front of the legs on the pullets. Good luck

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Some things I've read re sexing BR's...a small distinct dot = hen and a very large or even 2 overlapping dots = roo. Also, re down color - very black = hen and more silvery/frosty color = roo. Finally, very dark color on front of legs = hen and little or no color on front of legs = roo. [​IMG] TaLani

4. jennybee

Mar 10, 2009
    thanks![​IMG]

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    You're most welcome! Hope you end up with a lot of hens and only one roo. [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:most of that only works on hatchlings, these are 8 weeks old [​IMG]

I believe pullet feathers are darker.....so tell him to look for the darkest ones with small(not red) combs and wattles.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    At 8 weeks, it should be REALLY obvious. My chicks are three weeks, and I can already tell the roos. You can also look for really big feet and legs.

8. jennybee

Mar 10, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ok, all four seem to have the same legs, black running up the front. don't know how good these pics are, but the combs seem to be yellow too. pullets?

9. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    They all look like pullets to me. I have 4 8 week old BR and my rooster is sooo obvious! Good choices, they all look like hennies.

10. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Looks like your DH did a great job!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by