How to Sex Barred Rock cross chicks with pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bossynbella, Apr 11, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We just had one of our Barred Rock cross chicks hatch. The mom is a Barred Rock but I am 98% sure that the dad is our Sex link Rooster. (there was a Barred Rock Rooster and a Cherry Egger Rooster with her as well but the sexlink is the dominate rooster and the only one we ever saw mating the hens)
    The chick, I will say She because hopefully thats what SHE is, looks like a Barred Rock she is black with the white head spot , I know with pure breeds you look at the head spot and the legs. She has black stripes on her legs like a female BR but her head spot is long and irregular like a male BR. I will post pics later. It's very cold and she is still very little, she only hatched earlier today.

Let me know what you think!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. bantamgal

bantamgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    the other rooster will mate them, he just has to be a little sneakier and quick [​IMG]

I dont think you can sex these chicks

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks anyway. Just though maybe since She looked like a BR the BR rules would work. [​IMG] Oh well Its a cutie anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by