How to sex buff Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenMT, Mar 26, 2009.

1. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I got 7 new strait-run (spelling?) BO's today. I really want a rooster......ONE ROOSTER NOT 7! They are probably about 4 days old. Any suggestions on how I can tell the sex? I tried to pick the most aggressive looking ones and the ones with the most developed combs if that even matters. Wish me luck!

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I am no expert, and the safest thing by far is to wait until your peeps are several weeks old, but my buff orp pullets seemed to feather out on their wings ahead of the males. Can you post any photos? Congratulations on your peeps!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BO chick is growing SOOOO fast - way faster than the australorp who shares the brooder. I'm hoping it's a pullet and not a roo so it's good to hear (and not just from this thread) that the BOs grow so quickly.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    spread one of its wings.. If the flight feathers are even it wll be a rooster.. If the feathers are uneven, pullet..

5. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    1 person likes this.
  6. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    1 person likes this.
  7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I don't know necessarily more - never sexed birds in my life - I just happened to watch the "Dirty Jobs" and "How It's Made" episodes. Not all chicks are sexed in the same manner, that's all.

I didn't know - until I read that article - that not all chicks could be vent sexed. Heck, I thought that was a guaranteed way to know! [​IMG]

8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I don't know necessarily more - never sexed birds in my life - I just happened to watch the "Dirty Jobs" and "How It's Made" episodes. Not all chicks are sexed in the same manner, that's all.

I didn't know - until I read that article - that not all chicks could be vent sexed. Heck, I thought that was a guaranteed way to know! [​IMG]

unless you know how to do it,,vent sexing can be dangerous to the bird.

I hatch and sell over 300 BO per year.. how many do you hatch and sex? quite a job isn't it?

9. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

So vent sexing is the only way to tell them apart? Other than waiting until someone crows that is.

10. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It sounds from jvls1942 that they can, indeed, be wing-sexed. I stand corrected. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by