How to Sex California White Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArcticMermaid, Feb 19, 2016.

1. ArcticMermaid

ArcticMermaid Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    North Carolina
    I have 6 california white chicks 4 have spots on them and 2 don't. They are 2 days old in the pictures below one solid yellow is bigger and the wings are different it is only a few hours older than the other 5. The other 5 wings are all the same by the pictures can anyone tell me the sex of my chicks. The bigger chick is the one facing the water jar its wings is the following picture and the other 5's wings are like the last picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your California White chicks are too young to sex at this point. I would suggest re-posting their pics in a couple of months. By then the cockerels' combs should be reddening up and their gender should be should be much more obvious.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. ArcticMermaid

Jun 7, 2015
    North Carolina
    okay I was told that wing feathers would point to sex now

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, they're too young. The spots aren't linked to the gender of the birds at all. I'm not sure what cross made your birds so I don't know if they can be feather sexed at all.

5. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA
    If they are real california white, which is from leghorn x california grey, then they should be all females, because males are barred and females are white with black dots.

6. ArcticMermaid

Jun 7, 2015
    North Carolina
    They are supposed to be true california whites not hatchery stock

7. ArcticMermaid

Jun 7, 2015
    North Carolina
    california grey roo over white leghorn hens

8. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA
    Only white leghorn roo over california grey hen will generate sex link chicks. If they are from california grey roo over white leghorn hens, then they are not sexable as day old chicks.

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    California Whites are not sex linked as it is the males which are California Greys and the females which are White Leghorns. To be sex linked the female must be the barred breed (California Grey in this case) but that is not how California Whites are bred.

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Wing feather sexing is not reliable in this case for the reasons outlined in the following post: http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2014/09/30/chick-wing-feather-sexing/ Wing feather sexing is only accurate if you know that the chick's father was a fast-feathering breed and the mother was a slow feathering breed. (http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/how-to-sex-chickens-male-or-female-hen.html).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by