How to sex chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4everfarmgirl, May 19, 2009.

1. 4everfarmgirl

4everfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Ontario
    Does anyone have an easy way to sex chicks? I am new to this, so I really have no clue. We have cochin bantams. If someone can help me, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Patience is the best method. They will either crow or lay an egg. [​IMG]

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:And there you go, as they say.

They can be vent sexed at birth, by peering into their anus and looking for the respective sex organs. But after a day or so that isnt an option. Besides, it's a rather distasteful business and even experts get it wrong one out of twenty times.

If they are the right sort of hybrid-bred chicks, sex can be determined by the color of their down, or length of the wing feathers. These are referred to as "sex link" traits. But they are rather specialized, unique features and are very deliberately arrived at.

For any other chick that is past a day or two old, then Sequin's advice is the one sure way to know. You wont have to wait for them to start laying or crowing, as male and female traits become obvious well before then. But, the fact remains that time will tell.

In short - wait.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. 4everfarmgirl

4everfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Ontario
    Ok Thanks. Just thought there may be a special way to determine. It doesn't really matter what sex they are, just thought I would ask out of curiosity.

5. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have been so curious too to find out how many roos and hens I did get cuz I had to get straightrun, only way to get my Cochin Bantams. [​IMG]
    A few people have said that the little hens feather out first especially the wings and tails, and if that's true I think I have more hens than roos, even tho to me it doesn't matter to much!! Just fun trying to guess what you have!! ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by