how to sex guniea fowl

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by codieshell, Mar 2, 2015.

1. codieshell

codieshell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2014
    I have 3 guinea fowl the hatched Oct 31 is there any way I can sex them now [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So they are about four months old? At this point you should be able to tell them apart by the sounds they make. Females can make a call that sounds like "Buckwheat" while males cannot. Separate each one out so that they can't see the others and wait for them to start to contact call. Females can make a two note sound that will sound like "Buckwheat" and since only the females can do this, you will be able to tell who is female.

3. codieshell

codieshell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2014
    K I will try tomorrow

4. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    And the male makes a "chi, chi, chi" sound. These are waaaay easy to tell apart - the buckwheat from the chi. Also, the wattles of the males are usually much larger.

5. Mabec

Mabec Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    The females can make both sound Chi-chi and buckweet. Males only the chi-chi sound.

1 person likes this.
  6. KWSRetMSgt

KWSRetMSgt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Ft Worth TX
    Are there any other ways to tell the sexes apart, other then the waddle and their vocals?

7. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Only by the sounds they make or by vent sexing when they are adults. While the wattles can be an indication they are not a reliable telling point. I have personally had males that have the same type of wattles as my hens and have seen photos of hens that had wattles that looked the same as a normal male wattle appears.

8. KWSRetMSgt

KWSRetMSgt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Ft Worth TX

Ok thanks, i have 8 birds all but one was given to me. And two have been sitting on eggs now for almost three weeks, the nest has grown to about 40+ eggs. But im not even sure if any are fertile.

9. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming

10. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Great advice from other users. Determining the sex by the vocals does take time though. I had a lady buying from me who wanted a specific ratio of males to females. I spent the afternoon locking up one guinea at a time and waiting for the buckwheat call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by