how to sex mottled houdans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alaskanhenhouse, May 1, 2008.

1. alaskanhenhouse

alaskanhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    they don't have combs to help you so how do you know without waiting for a crow or looking in the hole? [​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Males will show larger size fairly early. Also males will have pointed saddle, hackle & crest feathers where females will be rounded.
    They do in fact have combs-it's a V comb and as in other breeds the male's comb will be larger.

3. alaskanhenhouse

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    ? V comb? is it hidden in the crest? mine are 7 weeks old and i don't see any type of comb.

4. alaskanhenhouse

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok, i see on the feather site the v combs on the houdans. but mine show nothing. [​IMG] any idea how long it will be before i see any sign of combs on them?

these came in a surprise box from a hatchery and i don't plan to keep them. but no body wants them unless we can figure out if they are female. there is only two and they are the same size.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Sorry, it's been years since I last raised any Houdans & I don't recall how long it takes for comb development.
    At 7 weeks you should be able to sex with the hackle feathers-look at the feathers close to the head & see if they are pointed or rounded.
    Houdans are beautiful birds-you should just keep them [​IMG]

6. alaskanhenhouse

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    i went out and looked closer to their heads and tucked into their feathers are the buds of teeny little fleshy 'horns'. [​IMG] one is redder than the other so maybe i have one of each!
    Thanks for your help.
    I would like to keep them but mine free range and the lack of ability to see the bald eagles and such over head isn't good. [​IMG]

7. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I've read, the houdans do quite well in free range environment. They are considered a maintenance free breed, just like OEGs. I would check the feathers on their lower back where the tails starts. Rounded=hen pointed= rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by