how to sex pea comb breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TK Poultry, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    im am having some issues with my little ameraucanas and i cant tell with my other breeds i can usually tell especially my cochin crosses but i cant tell with my little pea comb friends!!! any pointers? pics of examples would be nice [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Could you post pics? Usually the roosters' combs get larger and redder earlier. That's about all I can say [​IMG] And their tail feathers may start to curl/point a bit too.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I breed and show the WBS Variety. If you have these and can post some pics - or email them to me - I may be able to help you depending on their age.

God Bless,

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    they are a month old and i never had this much trouble sexing them ill take pics 2moro b/c i have to take pics for another post

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Give em a little longer, peacombs should be fairly high and red by 2 months.. When my little cockerels started showing. I knew they were before then though because of their looks.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I hate pea combs!!!

You can tell by the size of the comb, eventually. The males' comb will go back farther on the head, if that makes any sense.

7. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I think it was around 4 weeks when my little EE roo started getting larger than the others and his comb started turning red. Now at 7 weeks, he is clearly larger, his comb is bigger and his tail is longer that the girls. I'm pretty sure that the other 10 are all girls but I'm not putting my money on it yet.

8. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    My EE roo was puffed up and cocky acting, so i knew he was a roo. His comb turned real red real fast, he also just stood taller and seemed more hyper acting.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ya i hate pea combs too but i love my ameraucanas but i see some wider combs but all the same color so i guess im going to wait around i have a 4 month old cockerel that just now started to get really red!!! its just im not a very patient person

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: