how to sex pea comb breeds

TK Poultry

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Greencastle, Indiana
im am having some issues with my little ameraucanas and i cant tell with my other breeds i can usually tell especially my cochin crosses but i cant tell with my little pea comb friends!!! any pointers? pics of examples would be nice
smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
Give em a little longer, peacombs should be fairly high and red by 2 months.. When my little cockerels started showing. I knew they were before then though because of their looks.

I hate pea combs!!!

You can tell by the size of the comb, eventually. The males' comb will go back farther on the head, if that makes any sense.

I think it was around 4 weeks when my little EE roo started getting larger than the others and his comb started turning red. Now at 7 weeks, he is clearly larger, his comb is bigger and his tail is longer that the girls. I'm pretty sure that the other 10 are all girls but I'm not putting my money on it yet.

My EE roo was puffed up and cocky acting, so i knew he was a roo. His comb turned real red real fast, he also just stood taller and seemed more hyper acting.

ya i hate pea combs too but i love my ameraucanas but i see some wider combs but all the same color so i guess im going to wait around i have a 4 month old cockerel that just now started to get really red!!! its just im not a very patient person

Back
Top Bottom