How to sex Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bobbi57, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Bobbi57

Bobbi57 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    We have 4 Pekins. Two we got from the feed store at the beginning of April and 2 that we rescued from the local reservoir. I have no idea what sex they are. One was being aggressive to the chickens if they got too close (it would run at and just plow over the chicken target...quiite funny). I thought that one must be a drake so he/it wears a different color tag on the leg. All of them get along famously. When I introduced the 2 rescued ducks to the 2 resident ducks, they greeted each other like long lost friends.

I have been told that the drakes are quieter then the females and that they have a curly feather(s?) in their tail, but I haven't noticed that at all. I believe the 2 rescued ducks are the same age as the 2 resident ducks.

I guess I could wait and see who lays eggs and who doesn't, but it would be nice to know what I have. I would find it VERY hard to believe that I just happened to luck out and end up with all females (luck is an extremely rare visitor to my place!).

Does anyone have any pictures of their drakes that would help me sex my ducks?

Thanks!!
    Bobbi

2. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    the drake will have a raspy quack and the female will have a higher pitched quack.. I believe thats the easiest way to sex ducks. heres a video of my drake so you can see what im talking about, hes not a pekin, but its the same idea. I have 3 drakes that dont have a curly tail feather, so you gotta be careful with that method

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Drakes have a quiet wheezy raspy call.

Ducks will quack loudly.

Drakes have tail feathers curled up. Ducks are straight feathers.

[​IMG]
    Here is a Drake.......look at the curly tail!!!!

4. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    If you could post some pictures, I'm sure someone here could help ya out. Drakes don"t "quack" like the females do. It sounds more like a quack with laryngitis. Kinda of a squeak or a raspy croak. Females can be very loud! The "curly" feather will show up on the drake tail roughly about 6 months of age. It kinda looks like one feather is out of place or has a mind of it own...[​IMG]

Here is a thread that may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/674239/sexing-pekins/20

5. Bobbi57

Bobbi57 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    I'll try to take some pictures and maybe some video tomorrow if it's not raining. I watched them for a while tonight and the only thing I really noticed was that most were "honking" and one was kind of a raspy squeak? Will a drake "honk" if he's alarmed or excited? Unfortunately, I couldn't see if the one that was "squeaking" was the one we had put a different colored band on to "mark" the one we thought might be the drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by