How to sex Phoenix and barred rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cochin_kookoo, Dec 26, 2011.

1. cochin_kookoo

cochin_kookoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Ureka, CO
    I am going to start breeding bantam phoenix and barred rocks and wanted to know if there was any information on sexing them w/o vent sexing? If there is not what would be the earliest I could distinguish between the pullets and cockerels?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    dont really know but you might be able to tell gender by 6 weeks 12 weeks to be more sure

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    The pullets wear pink bonnets and the cockerels wear blue pants. [​IMG]

4. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Barred Rock- pullets should have a smaller white dot on top of the head, that does not bleed out. Darker legs, like a dark wash on the front or over the entire leg.
    cockerels should have a splotchy, broken up, or defused large white spot on top of the head. Legs should be yellow with no dark spots (or very little).
    Like vent sexing, it is not 100% guarantee because mistakes can be made. In other words some chicks can be a bit tricky.

I don't know about Phoenix. I do have Silver Duckwing OEGB and they have a color difference. There are some that are tricky too, but in case they look similar as chicks here is a picture. The pullet is in the back with a clearly darker more defined head stripe. The cockerel is in the front with a lighter more defused head stripe. [​IMG]

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    There is a thread on here somewhere about sexing barred chicks by the head spot. I have found it to be very reliable.[​IMG]

Same here with the OEG crele's.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by