How to Sex Polish, Sebrights, and Buff Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rocky41102, May 11, 2011.

1. rocky41102

rocky41102 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Tennessee
    How do you tell the difference between Polish, Sebrights, and Buff Orpington chicks? My Polish are about 7 weeks old, the Sebrights 8 weeks, and the Orps are about a month. Any tips on telling the gender? One of my Orps has a bigger comb than the other, so I think it might be a roo but the others look the same so I'm not sure what to look for!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Polish are almost impossible to tell until their topknots start coming in good. Females will have topknots that have rounder feathers and fill their head in the shape of a bonnet. Males will often have larger shaped nostrils, and topknot feathers more pointed and muppet like wild hair,,,, Orpingtons, the roos have much thicker legs and often you see a good size difference in the comb size and color.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my golden sebrights are 4 weeks old and I can tell I have 2 boys and 2 girls. The boys combs are turning red and are getting wattles and the girls nothing. Polish I dont know as mine are only about 5 days old. I'm hoping girls.

4. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Are there other differences in Polish? I have 3 from a straight run. They're only my second batch I've brooded, and they're about 2.5 weeks old. Two had feathers in their topknots start coming in over a week ago. The other one's just started growing in during the last day or so. The feathering over the rest of their bodies is going in about the same rate as the others and among themselves. I've read in some breeds boys feather out slower. I didn't know if this might include topknots or if this one is just a little slower growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by