1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to sex RIR chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffyPuff, Mar 12, 2014.

1. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

I am considering getting a RIR chick from tractor supply but they don't know which chicks are pullets and which chicks are cockerels. I cannot have any roosters due to city ordinance so how do I sex RIR chicks? What should I do????? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Simply put, you cannot sex RIR chicks at that age. Vent sexing is the only way and the hatcheries have highly trained professions that probably get it right about 95% of the time. That’s why they guarantee 90% accuracy, to cover their bets.

Do they have any other chicks that they know are pullets? Each Tractor Supply does it differently but many do have pullet bins. You can also check around for other feed stores selling chicks. They may have sexed chicks but they may not be RIR’s.

3. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't have any pullet bins it's just one big thing of RIR chicks. I think I'll just stick to getting a silkie from cackle hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by