How to sex silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Josh45640, May 10, 2011.

1. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    How in the world do you guys sex silkies? I have 4 young ones (a couple months old) and they all look the same to me. Im usually pretty good about sexing most normal breeds. I have one that is a little older that is a rooster (only because the guy that sold him to me said so). Other tna the guy telling me that he was a boy, I would have probably guessed hen..lol want to know so I can cull the roos. Thanks.

2. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    I've heard that Silkies are one of the hardest ones to tell the gender.
    Pretty much have to wait to see if they either lay or crow.
    [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yep; an egg or the rusty hinge sound of a new crower.

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:How did the guy know that sold the older one to you? If you think it looks like it could be a hen, wait until he crows or lays an egg to be sure.

5. Josh45640

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    This guy had about 100 of them in a pen at the flea market. He said that they were all roos. He had a bunch in another pen that were supposed to be hens for a higher price. He said that he can tell by how wide the pelvic bones are. I thought that only worked once they got to laying age? I guess I can wait. I really didnt want to waste anymore feed or space on them if I wasnt going to keep them around though. Most all of the ones that I am thinning are from a mixed batch of pure breed bantams that are just now getting old enough to tell the cockerals from the pullets. Which BTW, I have a porcelain duccle cockeral or two to get rid of if anyone is interested. [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Pelvic bone width is one way that some folks use to sex young birds. I'm sure you have quite a bit of experience to get it right!

7. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    See my sig [​IMG]

8. Josh45640

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If anyone needs me, I reckon ill be out in the coop waiting for one to crow, axe in hand.[​IMG]

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    If you post pics someone can probably help you..[​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you are going to cull then definitely wait until they crow!!!

If you post pics people can give a guess but that is what it is.

Oh I just reread this- what I meant to say is that I agree with kera- post pics if you wish!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by