1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to sex them.?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by handrosilva239, Aug 31, 2014.

1. handrosilva239

handrosilva239 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Fort myers FL
    How to sex guinea fowl.?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Good luck if they're little. You don't even have some of the signs like you do with chickens. If they are 6 months old or older, it gets pretty easy. The first sign is the different vocabulary, Hens has a 2 syllable call typically referred to as something that sounds like buck-wheat, Cocks have a monosyllabic screech. As they get older, their bodies have different shapes and their waddles are a dead giveaway.

Pictures of mines at about 9 months.
    [​IMG]
    L hen, 2 on R cocks
    [​IMG]
    L cock, R hen

3. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Other than the wattles being a dead give-away, @Percheron chick is right on the money. As far as the wattles go, I personally had a Lavender male whose wattles were shaped just like the wattles on my Lavender hen. I know for a fact that he was a male since I removed his testicles when I dressed him out. His other behaviors gave him away as being a male especially since at the time of his removal, he was my Lavender hen's mate.

I can vent sex guineas accurately once they are about 6 weeks old. Before that, it is just a guessing game for me. If a person has adult guineas to practice on, it teaches you what to look for and how far open you need to get their vent in order to see which sex they are. The male guinea has a two headed penis which at a very young age can appear to simply be a pair of bumps on the body side of the cloaca. In an adult hen what you will see is the almost red colored mass of what I assume is the shell gland. In a young hen, what you are looking for is the lack of a penis and/or the presence of the shell gland which may present itself as a bit of a reddish mass on the tail side of the cloaca.

Good luck.

4. rarebirds

rarebirds New Egg

Apr 11, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Can you tell a keets sex by the width of the stripe on its head?

5. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Definitely not. A center stripe indicates that the keet will be fully pearled as an adult. No center stripe with squiggly lines on a keet's head indicates that the keet will be partially pearled as an adult. A solid colored head with no lines or center stripe indicates that the keet will have no pearling as an adult.

1 person likes this.
  6. Buttercup902

Buttercup902 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    that is interesting! I never read that!

7. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    There is a box about the middle of the page with this information. Speaking from personal experience (I have fully pearled, partially pearled and solid colored guineas.) the information is accurate.

http://guineafowl.international/colorchart/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by