How to ship birds????

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickenlady, Feb 26, 2008.

1. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Do I just go to the post office with the birds? Is there a company that i need to buy a special box from or does the po have the filtered boxes? How would I estimate the price per shipping? Do I need any special insurance on the package?

I am interested in shipping some birds but do not know much about it. If anyone can answer these questions or give me some basic info, I would really appreciated it. Thanks in advance.

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    If you don't get an answer here soon enough to suit you, go to Dixiebirds.com and send the owner an email asking him. He can tell you where he ordered his bio-filter boxes. I know he didn't get them from the P.O. He did have the birds he shipped to me insured for the amount I paid including the shipping cost. The shipping varies depending on zip code to zip code i.e. distance makes a difference. You will probably get an answer just as fast right here. Good luck!

You might try to Google "bio-filter boxes" to find out where to get them.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  3. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
  4. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Horizon sells the boxes. I don't know their website off hand, but you can google it, I'm sure. I know that others have been approved, but I couldn't find on the PO site which they were yet.

You have to use one of the approved boxes. The company that sells them gives you a weight on the box. Guesstimate the weight of your birds, then include about 3 pounds for shavings or hay at the bottom and some apples or cukes at the bottom. You'll need to put those things in for the birds.

After you have them boxed according to the manufacture's instructions and have included something to keep them hydrated (apples or cukes), then take 'em to the Po and ship them via express mail. There are a very few limited zip codes any more, but you should check with your PO before taking your birds down to make sure you aren't trying to ship to one of them.

You can do the whole estimate thing online by the way at www.usps.com and use the weight with express shipping.

You can NOT insure live birds, unfortunately. They do guarantee a time they should get there though and you'll know that before you leave the PO. Keep your receipt so you can send the number on it to the person buying them so they can track them on their trip.

I guess that's about it. Just make sure you're shipping non-buggy, healthy birds and wait as long in the day as you can to take them down, unless your PO has more than one truck going out during the day, then get them on the earliest one.

Stacy

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Oops! Sorry about the incorrect insurance info. It was a delivery guarantee...that's how your money is recovered....if the birds don't get where they're supposed to get on time. Stacy is absolutely right. Sorry, again.

6. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    I'm sorry airmom, I didn't see you'd written anything about ins. [​IMG]

Stacy

7. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I would Call your local PO - Policies vary extremely by city and state even though it is a Federal Agency - Talking to the
    people who will actutally ship your birds can help alot.

8. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum all about shipping birds. [​IMG]

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Thank you everyone. I'm sorry I did not see the sticky, I will go look now. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by