How to ship day old ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Crazy12, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Okay, so I've never shipped day old ducklings and I'm getting so many requests for them that I need to know how to ship them. I've done a little bit of research, but I have a few specific questions.....

Anyone with experience shipping day old ducklings please help me get started.

*I know you need a chick box with a pad in the bottom
    *Some grow gel because I want the babies in good shape when they get to customer
    *Ducklings no older than 24 hours
    *Minimum of 10 ducklings for warmth or add a 72 hour heat pack

So those are the thing I already know about.... If I'm wrong on any of that please feel free to set me straight.

Now the questions I'm still needing help with

* I print shipping lables from home for my hatching eggs can I print the label for the ducklings also or do I need to fill it out at the post office?
    * How do the ducklings ship? Priority Mail 2-3 days? or only express?
    * Do I just put my ducklings in the box and head down to the post office and tell them these need to ship? I know once I learn my post office with a few shipments that won't be a problem but I'm pretty sure no one in my area actually ships chicks out through the post office.

* What about temps.... is there a certain temp that is way to hot to ship like 80 degrees? or how about the reverse what is too cold even for 10 ducklings? 25 degrees?

* Can you ship all year if you use a cool pack or heat pack?

*Okay, and since my hatches can go 1-2 days what is too old to ship and what would be too young to ship.

*Where do you put the NPIP papers? do you even send the NPIP with the box?
    * Where do you put the date and hour the ducklings were hatched? do you just average out the time since they don't all hatch at the same time?

* What happens if the ducklings die before they make it to their destination will the post office pay for the losses?

............And anything else that you can think of that I haven't thought of to answer please help me do this right................. We all gotta start somewhere.......

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Great questions! I am anxious to see what you get for replies too!

I am also going to be shipping ducklings for the first time next month. I am working with my local post office to sort out the details, I now just need to go down there and talk to them about it!

3. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I was hopeing to get at least a few replies, but nothing so far. Where are all of you experienced shippers at?

Bump!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Live birds ship express mail only. Must use an USPS approved shipping box. Need to check temperatures where you are and where they are going. There are restrictions against shipping during certain temps. Need to know if the receiving state requires more testing than the NPIP testing program to ship birds and eggs. Oh and be NPIP tested in your state too.

5. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Nothing under 35 or over 85
    Papers should be placed in an envelop and taped to the bottom of the box.
    The reason for shipping newly hatched ducklings is because they are living off their yolk sacks.

If you have ducklings that are 1-2 days and 24 hours old you can't send them the same way.

All of the info and restrictions you need to know is posted on the USPS web site as well as here on BYC at the top of the buy sell threads as a sticky.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Death on transit is your responsibility. You need a shipping standard statement ,and stick to it, saying how you will handle losses. Hatcheries normally send extras to help cover losses. You need to be ready to handle this as the PO will not cover it for you.

7. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    If you purchase insurance they will cover it. At least that's my understanding from when I worked at the post office wayyyy too long ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by