How to ship fewer than 15 day old chicks????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cackleberrycoop, Jan 16, 2012.

1. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    I am seeing the option of shipping small numbers of chicks (sometimes as few as 3 at a time) being offered and I'm wondering how this is being done? I have e-mailed a few of the breeders offering this and only one has answered my question. She said that she plans on using a box that she is going to get through her post office that has a heating device installed. I spoke to our local Post Master about it and he has never heard of such a thing.

Anyone know the big secret?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I got my small number from a hatchery...they put in a heat pad. It was paper, and filled with hard black stuff. It was quite warm when they got to me.

Maybe it's like one of those camp hand warmers or something.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Use a regular box and cover some of the holes near the bottom with the priority or express mail tape you get for free at the post office and insert a heat pad. Like this one:

[​IMG]

I usually put it to one side of the box in case the chicks get too warm and want to get away from it.

4. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    wonderful - absolutely wonderful! I have been watching videos about these heat pads but was wondering if they would over heat the boxes. Thank you for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by