1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to ship fresh grapes..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bi0sC0mp, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    not sure if this is the right place to post this if not sorry i got a bunch of fresh

Muscadine grapes how would i go about shipping this to someone if i wanted to thanks alot

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:If they are not overly ripe Muscadines have a very tough skin, so I would think a nice heavy box well cushioned with crumpled newspaper should do the trick.

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    soak them in 5 gal of water with 5lb sugar and 3 TBS yeast for about 14 days.

Filter, bottle, then send them to me! LOL!

Really though,
    wrap each bunch in newspaper. then pack them in a lerge box surrounded by wads of crinkled newspaper but not too tightly or they will bruise.
    seal with tape and ship overnight.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just make sure you aren't shipping them anywhere that is against ag. regulations. We have some friends in Hawaii who got in big trouble for trying to send some avacados to a friend in the contintental US.

5. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    If Florida Muscadines are like the ones that grow in Texas they don't grow in bunches they are single grapes...you have to pick them like blueberries, one at a time. They are about the same size as a blueberry and they have the same tough skin as a blueberry so I would think however you would ship a blueberry would work here.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  6. Bi0sC0mp

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    thanks but they do grow in bunches and are a lot bigger then a blueberry for sure

7. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I would give my eye teeth for a few of those grapes seeds. My MIL took some cuttings of some Muscadines out in the woods and planted them on her fence at her house. They grew like wildfire and we had many years of happy grape jelly days. When she passed away they sold the house and that was the end of our grapes.

I have tried several times to get some to grow on my fence and they just die. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

8. Bi0sC0mp

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    will take a pick shortly so u all can see what mine look like

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I love, love, LOVE muscadines! Post Familie Vineyards sells bottled muscadine juice and it is WONDERFUL! Last time I ordered it was free shipping in continental US. Would make great, great jelly. My bro.-in-law used to ship plant cuttings and produce in an inexpensive styrofoam cooler with cushioning material like shredded paper or packing peanuts or excelsior inside, depending on what was being shipped.

10. Bi0sC0mp

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by