How to ---> SILENCE<-- a ROOSTER in 3 days or less!

IdahoPrepper

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2015
No you don't have to strangle him with velcro or rooster stopper!

Preface:

I either had to shut my rooster up or eat him for dinner. We raised chics this spring and one of the sussix chics turned into a rooster. Beautiful bird and I did not want to kill it. Having read the posts here I put a childs sock around his neck. He stopped eating and drinking but he kept ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOssssssting!

OK so plan A was a failure. I took the sock off and he ate and drank like a starving animal. Yikes not good!

Plan B:

Having a dog I have learned a few things about animals. Having read that chickens can remember 200 faces of other chickens It got my gears turning. I figured if they have that good of a memory maybe, just maybe I can condition the rooster not to crow.

Day 1:

Every time he starting crowing I ran out the back door and clapped my hands and chased him away. After about 3x he started running when I opened the door. He knew I was not happy and I was going to chase him. His crowing that day dropped 50%. It was a total PITA to do this but better then killing him.

Day 2:

I got sick of clapping my hands and chasing the bird so I got the hose and screwed a nozzle onto the end. Every time he started crowing I ran out and hosed him down. He hated this by the way and ran to the fence but I still got him all wet. Crowing dropped by 75+ %.

Day 3:

I had the hose ready to go by the back door. When he started crowing I hosed him down for 1 minute straight. He was soaked. He crowed that one time day 3 and never again. Crowing dropped by 99.98% from 100+ times per day to 1 time.

Day 4 :

I will report back how he does. He runs like hell when I open the door quickly now. But he aint making any roooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssting noise! :)

Last edited:
You may be on to something! Keep us posted!
pop.gif

Day 4:

Rooster crowed once, I hosed him down and he hasnt done it since. He runs like hell when he sees me coming outside. He tried hiding behind the coop but I got him all wet, soaked him for 30 seconds. He hates it. I think he is getting the idea.

When he is quiet for over 1 hour I give him treats (corn cobbs, watermelon etc). I only reward good behavior like with a dog.

Its working........(will report back on day 5)

End of day 4:

Rooster was silent all day and no warnings were given except the one toot this am. I gave him treats all day while quiet to reward his good behavior. He is no longer running from me in shear panic.

Will report back on day 5

End of day 4:

Rooster was silent all day and no warnings were given except the one toot this am. I gave him treats all day while quiet to reward his good behavior. He is no longer running from me in shear panic.

Will report back on day 5
woo hoo!

Day 5

Rooster crowed while in his insulated sound-resistant coop at sunrise. Very quiet and not bothersome. Once the coop door was opened and he was outside he was silent. So far so good. Bird has not crowed yet.

Will report back at end of day 5.

End day 5
Start day 6

Rooster snuck in a crow after he heard me leave house and head to back 40 on my quad. He crowed one set of 3 and shut up. No further crows day 5. No correction given as I was too far away.

Day 6am:

Rooster crowed one time and a correction was given at 730am. Will report back end of day 6.

But I have to admit going from 100 crows per day down to 1 is a HUGE relief!!!

On a side note, my hens are not happy with me hosing down the rooster, they are scared and only laid 1 egg out of normal 5 yesterday. Its only temporary though so I am not worried.

Back
Top Bottom