How to socialize my chickens on a schedule.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Bff, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    I just got 6 new chicks for my flock and I want to socialize with them. The only thing is I don't have time on the week days only on the weekends. If anyone has any info on how to do it only on the weekends you info will be appreciated.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I'm old-school I just throw them in and let nature take its course. They will establish a pecking order.
    Good luck

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

When you are there on weekends...

Get down on their level and sit with them for as many hours as you can. Don't chase, but let them come to you. Always bring treats, meal worms are a favorite. Make a noise when you come and bring treats. We loudly say "bok, bok, bok" every time and they KNOW this means treats!

Some breeds will be easier than others. I barely got my leg horn to take food from my hand after 1 year old. And that's another thing, they go through phases. The teen phase right before laying starts is usually not that friendly. But after they start laying they usually freindly up a bit. [​IMG]

Oh, wait... I thought you meant to you...

To each other is a whole different story... I go with look but don't touch set up for a bit. Like a couple weeks. But do look but don't touch on the weekend and put the new birds in the coop at night after a couple days so they all wake up together. And provide plenty of visual barriers and places to hid for the little guys.

4. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    Any other advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by