How to sort mail with the help of a peacock {Video}

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kedreeva, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    My peachick believes that everything I do is his business. He's recently decided everything 'grandma' does is his business too. Today, he helped her sort the mail to make sure she didn't steal any of my mail:

His brother will most likely be for sale soon if anyone is looking for an overly friendly, incredibly nosy peacock that insists on sleeping in your bed and will do anything for a bite of watermelon.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Ooh so cute [​IMG]

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I had no idea they were so cute when they are little! [​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Yes he's a VERY sweet little boy. You can definitely tell which chicks I hatched and which chicks I bought from people who didn't socialize... when I walk into the room, my two run to the front of the cage to hop on my hands and the others run to the back.

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Are the eggs easy to hatch? seen some for sale but they're expensive so didn't want to risk it if they didn't stand a good chance [​IMG]

6. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, both times I ordered them (and one group is still in the incubator) I ordered 8 eggs... of the first group 4 made it through shipping to grow (the other four were intact, but didn't start), and 2 hatched. The other 2 SHOULD have, but they just... didn't pip. Absorbed the yolk, perfectly formed... No idea what happened.

Of this second batch I have going.... I was an idiot. The eggs were 'warm' when they came in and I didn't put them directly into the incubator without turner on, and I didn't. Three of them made it to lockdown, and I'm waiting to see who manages on Friday. Easy or hard? Well, I'd say they haven't been any different than any shipped chicken egg I've had, and actually had a better rate than some shipped chicken eggs I've done. And they are certainly more awesome than any chicken I've hatched, so there is that at the end of the day.

But if you're going to order some, definitely wait until spring. Breeding season is over and the fertility of any eggs currently being sold should be suspect. The females rarely allow the males to breed them after the males have dropped their trains around this time of year. They may still lay, but the fertility is probably sub-par.

7. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Your peacock is adorable. Thanks for the video and for sharing the breeding info.

8. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Oh My, so very cute!!! I didn't realize how cute they were also. Love the little noises you made to her, so sweet.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Now I want one!
    You're mom is awesome for letting the baby sit on her shoulder AND read the mail. Very cool. [​IMG]

10. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    My mom is pretty awesome, but there's not much 'let' when it comes to this bird. He will do everything in his power to be on shoulders or perched on arms and hands instead of put away in the brooder. And when we DO put him away, even though there are FOUR other birds and numerous toys... he still sits and the door and cries for me. He is one seriously spoiled bird. Mom hasn't figured out that I intend to buy some chicken diapers and keep him in the house yet. Hopefully I can be gone from the house by then, and grandma won't get a say!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by