How to Spot a Muscovy Cross?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suki'smom, Sep 16, 2012.

1. suki'smom

suki'smom Songster

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I went and traded 10 young OE chicks for 5 adult ducks. The woman I got them from had a big, beautiful flock of ducks. Some were mixed breeds and some were pure. Now she had several Muscovys in the pen and I told her I didn't want any Muscovy crosses, but this was after I had already picked out one colorful duck and had it in my cage. She steered me in the right direction and I selected 1 Blue Swedish drake, 1 Jumbo Pekin hen, 1 Rouen hen, 1 Rouen/Welsh Harlequin hen (I think), and my little mystery maybe Rouen/Welsh Harlequin drake (again I think. Its young but it sounds like a boy).

Once I got them home (it was an hour and 15 min drive) I realized what had happened and began to ponder whether or not this may be a Muscovy mix. I had selected several ducks that she said were Muscovy crosses so I didn't get them. They looked similar to this one color wise but its hard to say if it has any similar physical features as I dont have a Muscovy cross to compare it to. Its smaller than the other ducks I got but she also said "That's a young one" so maybe its just an age difference. It has a light colored bill and what looks like a slightly longer tail than the other ducks. I think I see reddish coloring around the base of the bill but since its so light colored it hard to say if that is pigment or a sign of Muscovy parentage.

I have no use for a Muscovy cross as I want these ducks for breeding. If it is a female at least she could earn her keep by laying eggs (infertile of course). If it is a male, however, it's basically useless to me (other than being so darn cute!) and I'd rather not eat it so it would probably go back to the breeder.

I can post pictures tomorrow but I thought I would ask what I should be looking for to spot a Muscovy cross. I am already attached to it so any help is much appreciated!

*fingers crossed* :)

2. serama hen

serama hen Songster

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    MUSCOVIES ARE A SWEET BREED OF DUCK WISH THEY DIDNT HAVE THOSE STUFF ON THE FACE

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Crosses can be very beautiful. Usually they won't have the coloring of either a muscovy or a mallard derived breed, but part of both. I have also noted that the caruncles are barely there, like they want to develop, but don't get around to it.

4. Dianuzhka

Dianuzhka Chirping

Jul 30, 2012
    CA
    I want to see a picture of this cute duck :)

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Please share pictures when you can. Hopefully it's a duck and not a drake since you have a drake in that group already. You will get a wide variety of oddly colored ducklings from that mixed breeding flock for sure.

6. petjem

petjem Chirping

Aug 21, 2012
    Greece, EU
    I think that's half their beauty! Makes them special! ;)

7. suki'smom

suki'smom Songster

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Ok here it is. I've been it calling it a "she", wishful thinking I guess lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my other duckies :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. suki'smom

suki'smom Songster

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    The multi-colored ducklings are kinda what I was going for with this flock :)

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yup. I would say that is a muscovy cross. Hard to say if it's male or female. I've only had one scovy cross. I think it was crossed with a rouen. He got very large and grew faster than my scoovy drakes. He never really got many caruncles and his were black.
    Nice looking ducks though.

10. suki'smom

suki'smom Songster

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input, she is very small though. Even the woman's adult Muscovys were small...Is there a such thing as a bantam Muscovy? She may have to go back to the breeder...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by