1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to stabilize humidity? (revised)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosco, Dec 7, 2009.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Scratch what i wrote earlier (see below). I'm drilling holes in styrofoam lid. i'll tell ya though. the conditions are much more difficult to control now. there seems to be a lag between the thermometer and the thermostat. even if they respond similarly, they are in a different part of the incubator and air stream.

ABout how long does one normally take to stabilize a 22qt styro-bator? with working parts and system up and running i'm at about six hours.

rosco

This is my DIY incubator. volume is 22qts (small, i know).
    [​IMG]

I'm in the trial run stage for a day or two. i'm shooting for a temperature of 100 to be the shut-off point. currently, it is bouncing between 95-105. yeah, still stabilizing. The humidity is at about 80%. I'm wondering how to control the humidity. if i put a cork in the side wall to release vapor, it will just come right back with an open source of water. with available water and air movement, conditions should naturally tend towards saturation? well, i guess i'll be learning this very soon.

I'm in the trial run stage for a day or two. i'm shooting for a temperature of 100 to be the shut-off point. currently, it is bouncing between 95-105. yeah, still stabilizing. The humidity is at about 80%. I'm wondering how to control the humidity. if i put a cork in the side wall to release vapor, it will just come right back with an open source of water. with available water and air movement, conditions should naturally tend towards saturation?

well, i guess i'll be learning this very soon.

Comments from experienced DIY'ers is greatly welcome!

Rosco

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. lady and her girls

lady and her girls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    ohio
    Ok check out my pics I put a spong in the middle of a jar of water. Only put in enough water to wet the sponge and leave a nickle thickness at the bottom. I used the dry bator technic. My incubator is a mini fridge and you know how they hold water.- I have my first one hatching right now!

3. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:I was thinking a sponge. the problem will be that i must cut the hardwire out to get to the bowl. it is a very small cooler and difficult to work with.
    It is the water activity that must be controlled. a sponge would have lower values than open surface water. but at 100F, it seems conditions will go right towards saturation, or very close. how in the world are people getting 55% RH? I'm thinking to cover it with tin foil and poke hole in the foil to reduce the availability of water.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE FIRST CHICK! i hope i get that experience.

Thanks, rosco

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by