How to Stack a Hova-Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JekkaLynn, Mar 6, 2015.

1. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I am trying figure out how many eggs I can manage to squeeze into a hova-bator incubator. I has ordered almost enough to fill it and then I found other eggs and now I am trying to figure out how many more eggs I can manage to put in there and how the best way to arrange them is.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How many broods have you successfully hatched in this bator? An advanced technique (that I'm not yet confident enough to try) is to start a batch, then remove them and candle after a prescribed length of time, remove the duds, and then set them aside. You then put in the next batch, and repeat the same procedure. Then you combine the 2 batches, and incubate as you normally would. I'd have to read up on the protocol before trying it, but if I was desperate to do the incubation all in one batch, I just might be willing to take the risk with this procedure.

ETA: An other thing you could do, is stack them, perhaps one egg carton on top of an other, if you can do so without the top eggs being too close to the heating element. Then, when you candle at 7 days, you should be able to eliminate some of the quitters/clear eggs. I see this as being more risky than above procedure due to the difficulty of turning them without causing injury. It all depends on your set up and comfort level.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I managed to get a great hatch rate on bantam eggs that had been sitting in a nest outside for a full month from end of July to beginning of august before the hen started brooding them. It was a two pound hen trying to hatch 25 eggs so I took them at day 3 and put them in my new incubator then did a dry hatch. I threw out a few clears and had two late quitters but the rest hatched. It is a great little incubator.

Does anyone have a link to a thread that describes how to start them and store the good ones?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by