How to start nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by okiemamachick, Jan 13, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hello friends! I'm about to switch over to nipple style waterers and I was wondering how do I show the girls that that's where the water comes out or will they figure that out on their own?

2. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Mine went right to them, but if they don't seem interested you can put something like peanut butter to entice them. I doubt it will be a problem chickens are very curious. Remove all other sources of water and they will figure it out.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I agree with 11mini, although I'm not sure about the peanut butter. When I switched mine, they glared at it like it was going to attack them! Then one decided to go over and peck at that bright red thing with the shiny metal center, and water came out! She did it again. The others watched her carefully. Training time over.

We recently hatched out a lone chick under a broody and because of some extenuating circumstances, that chick ended up living in the house for a time. Even at just a week or so old she knew how to use the nipple waterer because that's what's out in the coop. I put a nipple into a container from powdered iced tea and she used it immediately. At first make sure they are drinking. You don't even have to be in the coop to know that - you can hear the sound of them tapping the metal center. And do take out their other water sources - it will only confuse them and make them ignore the nipples most of the time.

Good luck!

4. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Wonderful replies a does I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by