How to start selling hatching eggs???

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
Is there anything I have to get to start selling quail hatching eggs? I will only be selling the Coturnix eggs for now since I dont have a permit for the Bobs. When I crack the eggs to eat them, i check most of them and they all seem to have the bullseye so that means they're fertile right?

Thanks for any feedback!
Cody!!

I am still looking for some more to hatch.....
big_smile.png

Quote:
Is there a tutorial about eggs? You can eat fertile eggs? I assumed that to eat the eggs you'd have to get them from hens without access to a roo but that's not so? Link?

Thanks!

Quote:
Is there a tutorial about eggs? You can eat fertile eggs? I assumed that to eat the eggs you'd have to get them from hens without access to a roo but that's not so? Link?

Thanks!

I'd go visit the hatching eggs part of BYC and you'll find info there and pictures.
smile.png

You can eat fertile eggs they are no different than nonfertile eggs only difference being the fertile eggs if incubated for several days will hatch were as the nonfertile ones will rot LOL. Its a misconception that they aren't edible. Now if i hen has sat on a fertile egg about 3 days, then you will crack it opened and see the development starting.. youc an eat that too but
sickbyc.gif
LOL! Fertile FRESH eggs are the best
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks Niki!

Do I need to try and hatch some first to see that they hatch?
Please say yes, please say yes!

**crosses fingers**

Lol so they can be advertised as fertile hatching eggs? Sweet! I think Im gonna change my craigslist posting now! lol

Thanks,
Cody!!

Quote:
Thanks Niki!

Do I need to try and hatch some first to see that they hatch?
Please say yes, please say yes!

**crosses fingers**

Lol so they can be advertised as fertile hatching eggs? Sweet! I think Im gonna change my craigslist posting now! lol

Thanks,
Cody!!

ofcourse you can incubate some to test the fertility most breeders do
smile.png

OKay! Twist my arm. I have the money right now to help pay for electricity and i dont hav emy aquarium anymore that sucked up soo much electricity!

Cody!!

CODY ALL YOU NEED TO SELL THEM IS AMBITION BUDDY! YOU CAN POST THEM FOR SALE HERE, EGGBID, AND EVEN EBAY AND CRAIGSLIST. ONCE THE SALE IS OVER YOU NEED PACKING SUPPLIES-- GO TO https://shop.usps.com AND YOU CAN GET PRIORITY MAIL BOXES AND LABELS MAILED RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR FOR FREE, SO NOW YOU HAVE THE BOX..... SAVE THE OLD EGG CARTONS YOUR FAMILY USES AND USES THEM TO SHIP THE EGGS IN! GO TO THE POST OFFICE OR ANY PACK AND SHIPP STORE, DOLLAR GENERAL STORE, ETC... AND GET YOU SOME BUBBLE WRAP AND PACKING TAPE. NOW ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WRAP THE EGGS IN BUBBLE WRAP, PLACE THEM IN THE DOZEN CONTAINERS AND PAD THEM WELL. HAVE A PAPER SHREDDER? IF SO THE SHREDDED PAPER WORKS GREAT TO PAD THE EGG CARTONS IN THE PRIORITY MAIL BOX... INSERT ALL IN THE PRIORITY BOX AND APPLY LABEL TO THE ADDRESSEE --- TAKE IT TO THE POST OFFICE, PAY THE SHIPPING AND HAND THE BOX TO THE POSTMAN--- WALLAH!

THINGS THAT HELP---
1. A PAYPAL ACCOUNT--- NOT NECESSARY BUT DEFINATELY HELPS SO YOU CAN RECEIVE FAST PAYMENT FROM YOUR BUYERS. IN LUE OF THIS YOU CAN DO A MONEY ORDER ONLY BASIS LIKE MONARC--- ONCE SHE RECEIVES THE MONEY ORDER FOR PAYMENT SHE STARTS COLLECTING EGGS FOR SHIPPMENT...

2. AN EBAY ACCOUNT--- YOU CAN JOIN FOR FREE BUT THEY WILL CHARGE YOU TO SELL YOUR EGGS AT AUCTION. THESE FEES CAN BE SET UP TO COME DIRECTLY OUT OF YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT, OR ANY BANK ACCOUNT.

3. AN EGGBID ACCOUNT--- AGAIN FREE BUT THEY WILL CHARGE YOU TO SELL EGGS LIKE EBAY. THERE'S ALSO ANOTHER SITE CALLED OVABID TOO!

4. CRAIGSLIST ACCOUNT--- TOTALLY FREE BUT USUALLY JUST WORKS IN YOUR LOCAL AREA. GO TO CRAIGSLIST.COM AND START SELLIN'. YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT HERE ON BYC AND ITS FREE TOO! BUT IT WORKS ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY!

5.REMEMBER TO SELL ONLY FRESH EGGS! THIS GIVES YOUR BUYERS THE BEST CHANCE FOR A GOOD HATCH, AND A GOOD HATCH MEANS HAPPY BUYERS! HAPPY BUYERS MEANS CODY BUILDS A GOOD NAME AND REPUTATION FOR HIMSELF! SO HAVING STATED ALL THIS KEEP IN MIND HOW MANY EGGS YOU GET ON AVERAGE FOR A 1 OR 2 DAY PERIOD AND ONLY OFFER THAT AMOUNT OR A LITTLE LESS FOR SALE IN YOUR POSTINGS.( ITS NICE TO INCLUDE A FEW EXTRAS IN CASE 1 OR 2 GET BROKEN IN SHIPPING--- THIS TOO BUILDS HAPPY CUSTOMERS)

6. SMALL AMOUNTS OF CASH ON HAND--- BEFORE YOU SELL YOU'LL NEED PACKING SUPPLIES ETC... YOU'LL ALSO NEED THE CASH TO PAY FOR SHIPPING WHEN YOU MAIL THEM--- REMEMBER THIS IS NEEDED UP FRONT. YOU CAN EASILY CASHOUT YOUR PAYPAL FUNDS, BUT THEY WILL HAVE TO BE TRANSFERED TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AND THAT CAN TAKE A FEW DAYS AT TIMES...

7. A LITTLE SELF DISCIPLINE--- DONT LIST MORE EGGS THAN YOU CAN PROVIDE IN A SHORT TIME. DONT DIP INTO YOUR PACKING AND SHIPPING FUNDS UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN REPLACE THEM EASILY FROM YOUR SALES. BE A GOOD SELLER, USE ETHICS AND TRY TO DO YOUR BEST TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BUYERS. WHEN LISTING SALES KEEP IN MIND SHIPPING DATES--- IS THE POST OFFICE OPEN THE DAY YOU WANT TO SHIP? I TRY NOT TO SHIP ON THURS OR FRI--- IF SO THE EGGS WILL LIKELY HAVE TO WAIT TO REACH THEIR DESTINATION WHICH WILL DELAY INCUBATING AND THUS DECREASE THE HATCH RATE. IF YOU ARE UNDER AGE (LESS THAN 18 YRS OLD) YOU WILL LIKELY NEED A LITTLE HELP FROM A PARENT OR GUARDIAN WITH SOME OF THESE ACCOUNTS.

GOOD LUCK BUDDY AND HAVE FUN! ANY QUESTIONS ASK ON HERE FOR INFO!

Quote:
FOR SALE
lau.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist
tongue.png

You don't have to set them yourself, you can offer them for shipping only as test eggs. If you have verified fertility they should be hatchable. This will also tell you how well they handle shipping
smile.png

I use the #4 or the #7 box from usps.com
As JJMR794 stated, most priority mail packing materials are free, and they ship them to you. Avoid the flat rate boxes, as the shipping on these is a lot more than shipping on the #4 or #7 for the most part. You can buy bubble wrap in large quantities at most stores, my walmart carries 150 sq. ft. rolls for $15. When I first started selling eggs, I would individually wrap the eggs in bubble wrap, then wrap the whole lot in more bubble wrap.

This is not doable now, with the last shipment I sent being 100 eggs. Way too much time wrapping! I got some quail cartons that work pretty good.

You need to pad the box with something (I swipe a bunch of the auto shopper mags and use those
big_smile.png
) and be sure that the eggs don't touch the sides of the box. If the eggs touch each other, be sure there is plenty of padding between them.

The key to shipping is padding and stability. You don't want the eggs to shift around inside their packaging, and you don't want them too close to the sides.

And you also want to ship them big end up, less air cell damage that way.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom