how to start the process of an egg to under the hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coralanna, Jan 18, 2011.

1. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    I`m completely new to this so would just like to know the first part of the process. How to fertilize eggs to knowing how to take care of them.

Hopefully there`s already a link on here you can send me too. thanks

Alan

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

First off you have to have a rooster that is fairly mature in order to have fertlized eggs. For a hen to hatch they eggs, she needs to be "broody", which means she feels the need to sit on the eggs until they hatch. You will know, because she will not leave the nest, and she will get all poofed up and hiss and bite at you when yoy try to move her. If you have eggs under a broody, you do not need to do anything else. A hen knows exactly what to do to see them hatch.

Hope this helps!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Basically, I would just start going through the Index & start reading. I learned a lot just from doing that & asked questions on things I didn't understand.

BTW [​IMG]

4. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I did start ready on one of the sticky notes and did learn some stuff. I do have some neighbours in the area that do raise birds so will have to stop by with a bottle and learn as much as possible. I`ve always been a hands on guy and learn from doing.

Thanks again.

Alan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by