How to stop 2 males from fighting?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ryulk, May 21, 2019.

1. Ryulk

Ryulk Hatching

May 21, 2019
    Hello all,

This is my first post and i want to apologize in advance if my post is long. I have a concern about the males in my flock. Here is a little backstory:

I have 10 females and 2 males in a 4x2 w/ a 2x2 extension, they are all coturnix but are mixed colors. I purchased them when they were about 6-10 weeks old. The males were smaller (presumably younger) than the females and were initially picked on by the females when we first brought them home. It's been about 1 month and the males got bigger and the females stopped picking on them. However, 1 of the males began to consistently pick on the other male. We assume it's a dominance thing, but it began to make the females restless. We decided to isolate the aggressive male from the rest of the flock and the flock seems to be more content with just the 1 passive male. After a week has passed, we reintroduced the aggressive male back to the flock, since the aggressive male kept calling for the flock and we felt bad that he was isolated. The males began to fight each other, causing the females to either flee, pick sides, or do nothing. I assumed they were going to settle down, but after a day, the males still pick on each other, the flock continues to be restless, and the number of laid eggs decreased (not sure it if means anything). We decided to isolate the aggressive male again.

So my questions are, what should I do about the aggressive male? Should I reintroduce him to flock later on, or should I just cull him?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Shadrach and CoturnixComplex like this.
  2. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    What are your goals? Laying flock or breeding?

Unfortunately these two have made it clear they're not going to play nice. I have to separate all my boys eventually with rare exception.

Get rid of the mean one if you want a nice laying flock, get rid of the subbmissive one if you want any kind of fertility in your eggs.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Well since separation worked before that would be the logical solution. 2 males in the flock will be a constant problem.

Ryulk likes this.
  4. Ryulk

Ryulk Hatching

May 21, 2019
    I suppose we mainly want a laying flock, but plan on trying to hatch some in the future. I might try isolating the submissive one and reintroduce the aggressive one to see how the females respond to the aggressive male when he is the only male. Thank you for your reply!

starri33 likes this.
  5. Ryulk

Ryulk Hatching

May 21, 2019
    Thanks! Yeh, I will probably have to keep them separated. I read online that more than one male can be kept in a flock, as long as the ratio of females to males was high enough. I guess it depends on the individual males and the flock.

6. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I don't think there's away to stop them unless you separate them completely. I've had 2 with a flock of 20 hens, they were fine but they also free ranged so they could get out of each others way.

Is the aggressive one aggressive towards people or just the other rooster? I'd choose one rooster and re-home the other. They'll constantly be like this no matter how many times you isolate and reintroduce.

Ryulk likes this.
  7. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I have done no less than 10 females per rooster and if it was any less than that, there were problems. That's only my experience though

Ryulk and starri33 like this.
  8. Ryulk

Ryulk Hatching

May 21, 2019
    The aggressive one is just aggressive to the other male, so I don’t know if he is just dominant or naturally aggressive. I will try and isolate the passive male and reintroduce the aggressive male back to the flock, maybe he will behave differently when he is the only male.

chkva likes this.
  9. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    Put the aggressor in a lovely baking dish at 300 degrees Fahrenheit rubbed with butter and seasoned with garlic and herbs.
    That should do the trick!

10. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    Here is your solution
    D0E7B721-91DB-494A-8315-E0F37602AA20.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: