How to stop 4 day old chick stop pecking feet at 1 day olds?

lcw1995

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Marysville Ohio
i hatched a polish on friday. well its been in the brooder by itself since today. had 3 hatch. 1 is dry and 2 others are still drying in bator.
well i put the dry chick in with polish and it wont stop pecking the feet of the other chick?
anyway to stop it or iis it just curious?

Quote:
It's just curious, it will stop on it's own. My newest hatchling keeps crying because it is pecking at it's own toes
roll.png
(I have a feeling this one will be um... "Special")
lol.png

Unless it's really hurting the other one sounds like it's just interested and will be become disinterested soon. We had a pecking issue with our chicks a week ago. They had pecked another until it was bleeding on her tail end. We read that if you put vicks vapor rub on the wound the peckers would stop. Let me tell ya it worked! The vicks doesn't sting either, my Mom had a bad place on her chest and had to put on some vicks due to the flu. It didn't hurt her at all.

Very easy to believe.
big_smile.png
They will even peck at each others' eyes now and then, so don't freak out about that. They rarely injure each other. That behavior is something that happens with young chicks until they get it out of their system. It's just curiosity. All they have to check things out with is their beak.

Just a question...Yes, I'm a newbie. Isn't pecking at eachother's feet a cannabalistic thing? Or not if no injuries are formed? My chicks are pecking at the others toes all the time, and I hope it's not bad... Thanks, Mary

Back
Top Bottom